Quarantine?

Come here just to talk about everyday life and other non-aquarium topics.

Quarantine?

Postby sskruzr » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:35 am

There's only lfs I get fish from that I take home and put in with my current fish.
The other day I bought some brochis cats from a store I've purchased from before. Well I ended up throwing them in a 5 with an air stone to monitor them.
A couple of questions:
Do you medicate while in quarantine, and for what?
How long do quarantine before declaring disease free?
Corey
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
sskruzr

Re: Quarantine?

Postby dennysfishroom » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:59 am

I usually put them in quarantine for a week, although I sometimes forget and it ends up being longer.
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
dennysfishroom
Altum Angel

Postby cbaranyk » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:05 am

I quarentine 2-4 weeks in a planted tank with no chemicals, but it does have a UV sterilizer.
Chris Baranyk
cbaranyk

Postby ChrisMel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:09 am

Is the quarantine pretty much mandatory? Did anyone have issues when they didn't quarantine the fish at first?
ChrisMel

Postby dennysfishroom » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:17 am

There is no "law" that says you are required to quarantine your new fish. However you do run the risk of exposing your existing fish to potential disease from the new fish. When fish are shipped to the aquarium stores, they are put under a lot of stress, and can become susceptible to disease. By quarantining new arrivals, it gives you an opportunity to watch them for a period of time, and if they exhibit symptoms of disease, they can be treated before having a chance to infect all of your existing fish. Almost all hobbyists have at one time or another, inadvertently introduced disease into out tanks by not quarantining new fish.
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
dennysfishroom
Altum Angel

Postby cbaranyk » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:58 pm

Yes quarantine is pretty much mandatory, even if you get the fish from a LFS, breeder, or even me. Catching fish and bagging them causes them physical stress. When they are in the bag their usually highly controlled environments change (temp, pH, ammonia concentration) inflicting chemical stress. You're tank parameters will be different (more stress), and of course the emotional stress of missing their friends... ;) All of these factors weaken their immune systems making them susceptible to disease. You take a huge financial risk adding those nasty buggers to your display tank. And of course risk triggering the zombie apocalypse.
Chris Baranyk
cbaranyk

Postby cbaranyk » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:02 am

And yes, as Denny stated above we've all done it and killed lots of fish. Take our advice and always quarantine or learn the hard way. Either which way I always have fish for sale. 8-)
Chris Baranyk
cbaranyk

Return to Off Topic