September Meeting w/Mike Hellweg

Program Schedule - Dates - Location - Maps and Directions

September Meeting w/Mike Hellweg

Postby sskruzr » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:53 pm

Here's Mike's bio and topic choices. Mike's given his Live Food Culture and Adventures in Fish Breeding talks to us. What do you want to hear? Post hear.
Bio: Mike Hellweg
Mike has been fascinated by fishes all his life, and has had various fishes as pets since he could barely reach the top of the goldfish bowl; he has been successfully breeding and trading fish with local shops since he was 9 years old. Over the past four decades plus he has specialized mainly in miniature fishes, and has had successful spawns from various miniature fishes totaling over 400 species from 32 families of fish. He currently owns a small fish hatchery and maintains about 3000 gallons divided into 100 tanks. He is the top ranked breeder of all time in the Missouri Aquarium Society, Inc. (MASI) BAP and the top ranked aquatic horticulturist of all time in MASI’s HAP with over 300 submissions from 50 families, including more than a dozen by seed. He is an ALA Century Breeder, with over 100 species of Livebearers spawned. He credits his success to large regular water changes, keeping live plants in every tank and culturing and feeding an assortment of live foods daily for feeding his breeding stock and for growing the fry of these diverse fish.

Over the past three plus decades, Mike has given well over 325 talks to classes, clubs, groups and conventions all over the USA and Canada, has documented many of his keeping and spawning successes in over 300 articles published in hobby publications around the world, and he has had two books on live foods published by TFH Publications.

Anabantoids: Keeping and Breeding Fish that Can Drown
This talk introduces the audience to all the groups of Asian and African Anabantoids, divided by their spawning method. I’ve kept almost every known species, and bred nearly half of them, so the talk covers many of my personal experiences with them. Emphasis is placed on smaller, more challenging species. I only briefly discuss Bettas since they require a full talk of their own.

Adventures in Fish Breeding - Breeding Tips and Tricks
In this talk I discuss the challenges of spawning fish, sharing many of the tips and tricks that I’ve learned over the past 40 years from my own experience and from other hobbyists who have gone before. I also talk about raising the fry and offer a few specific examples to inspire listeners to try to think outside of the glass box and maybe try their hand at breeding something more than just cichlids and a few of the common community fish that most people breed. Throughout I throw in how I used many of these tips and tricks to win the first ever TFH Fish Breeder’s Challenge.

Meet the Wild Betta Species
This talk introduces the audience to all of the Betta species groups and most of the 60 or so known species of the genus Betta, with emphasis on methods for keeping and breeding them. I share my personal experiences with keeping more than 50 species and breeding more than 30. I do not cover the fancy Betta splendens except in passing, as they require an in-depth talk of their own.

Wild Livebearers - More than just the Retail “Big Four”
This talk introduces the audience to the wonderful world of wild livebearers, the American Livebearer Association, and hopefully expands their thinking about this amazing group of fish beyond the Retail “Big Four” – Swordtails, Platies, Mollies, and Guppies.

The Joy of Goldfish
This talk introduces the audience to Fancy Goldfish, their history, husbandry, and forms. It’s a light-hearted talk, and doesn’t really go into breeding, etc. but rather concentrates on the variety of forms and their unique and charming beauty.

Culturing Live Foods
This talk is based on my book Culturing Live Foods (TFH 2008) and covers all of the commonly available live food animals and their easiest culture and harvest methods – or at least, what works best for me. I also cover other methods that other hobbyists have found to work well for them. I have various versions of the talk aimed at an All Species club, a Cichlid club, a Livebearer club, a Catfish club or a Killie club.

Breeding and Raising Livebearers – It’s Not Always Easy!
This talk discusses the often ignored topic of how to breed and raise wild-type livebearers, with emphasis on ‘how I do it’. I cover breeding methods, breeding tanks, feeding, and raising the fry. I give several examples in each of 5 different families of livebearers, and encourage the audience to not be afraid to try new species and to participate in Species Maintenance.

Cyprinids in the Aquarium
This talk introduces the extremely popular aquarium fishes of the family Cyprinidae; concentrating on the smaller Barbs from West Africa and SE Asia, the Danios, the Rasboras and their kin, and introduces the audience to some of the North American Minnows and Shiners, which often rival the more ‘exotic’ Cyprinids. Discussion of breeding and raising them and my experiences with the various groups is also covered.

Miniature Cyprinids
This talk covers the dozen or so families of true Cyprinid miniatures, including many fish that have only recently been discovered and described, some within the past year. The largest fish that I talk about are the White Clouds! Most are less than an inch, and many are regularly available in the trade IF you know where to look. I cover that, too.

Fishroom Design
This talk covers all aspects of fishroom design, from making a small system that covers only 8 square feet of floor space and might fit in a spare closet to a full sized fishroom. I discuss electricity concerns, plumbing, rack design, drilling tanks, layout, lighting, dealing with humidity, insulation, air supply, and workspaces.

Miniature Livebearers
This talk covers many of the truly tiny Livebearing species that are popular in the hobby, and many that are less common including many of the diminutive Poecilia, “Micropoecilia”, Girardinus, Gambusia, Heterandria, Neoheterandria and several others. In this talk, guppies are the giants! It covers some of these amazing fishes’ specialized adaptations to meet the challenges of delivering live young when the females are often not a whole lot larger; husbandry, feeding and much more.

My Adventures with Dwarf Seahorses and Freshwater Pipefish
This talk covers these interesting and unusual livebearers, with emphasis on feeding and care, and in depth tips and tricks for the easier to keep and breed species including several species of freshwater pipefish and dwarf seahorses.

Working with the Livebearing Halfbeaks
This talk introduces the livebearing halfbeaks commonly available in the hobby as well as some of the rare ones; with tips on aquarium care, feeding, and breeding. It also helps to alleviate some of the confusion that abounds among the mixed imports that are currently coming in all being sold as a single “species”.

Oddball Livebearers
This talk covers many of the less common livebearing fish that are occasionally available in the hobby, including information about the biological adaptations and mechanics of livebearing in fish, husbandry and breeding information, and a look at what makes some of these groups of fish so unique.

Danios, Devarios and their Kin
This talk covers the amazing members of the genera Danio and Devario and some of their amazing close relatives. Who would have thought that you could do an entire talk on Danios? There are dozens of species, many with interesting behavior, that have entered the hobby in the past ten to fifteen years. Many of these fascinating fish are from Burma, which was only barely represented in the hobby until very recently. Plus there is the amazing Zebra Danio and all of its contributions to human health research.

Meet the New Tetras
This talk covers the many new and fascinating characins that have been coming into the hobby in the past decade or so, and many old favorites which disappeared for years, only to come back into the hobby once again. I cover species, care, and breeding.

Siluriformian Serendipity
This talk covers my approach to keeping and breeding oddball catfish, embracing the “happy accident”, including tips and tricks for combining the right conditions, feeding the right foods, and patience to get spawns from reluctant catfish. I include specific examples of how I took advantage of serendipity with fish from several families of catfish: Banjo Catfish, Hoplos, Moth Catfish, Pimelodids, Synodontis, Wasp Catfish, Wood Cats and more, with a surprise description of a totally unexpected (do not try this at home!) spawn at the end!

Fascinating Fishes
This talk is a great banquet or general audience talk. It gives a quick overview of humanity’s fascination with fishes from the Neolithic period to the present, and then looks at the amazing variety of fishes and their adaptations to live in every environment on every continent.
Corey
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
sskruzr
Altum Angel

Re: September Meeting w/Mike Hellweg

Postby cbaranyk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:32 am

Either of the cyprinid talks.
Chris Baranyk
cbaranyk

Postby sumpnfishy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:59 am

1. New tetras
2. Siluriformes (catfish)
3. Seahorses/pipefish
sumpnfishy
Altum Angel

Postby sskruzr » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:34 pm

Here's the poster for September's meeting.
Attachments
SeptemberFlyer3.jpg
SeptemberFlyer3.jpg (94.04 KiB) Viewed 398 times
Corey
sskruzr
Altum Angel

Postby sskruzr » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:34 pm

so here's the fish list from Mike. I would suggest emailing him as soon as possible because of availability. I'm guessing there's no shipping cost involved, but again I'm guessing. Be sure to ask for a total on your order. I had to attach the list because when I copied and pasted it, it didn't show the columns of the prices.
Attachments
Exotic Aquatics Word Price list.doc
(225 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Corey
sskruzr
Altum Angel

Postby sskruzr » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:04 pm

I know it's kinda late but if anyone wants to meet us at Patrick's in Springdale around 5 tomorrow for a bite to eat before the meeting, you're all invited.
Corey
sskruzr
Altum Angel

Postby sskruzr » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:25 pm

We had great time with Mike and Chuck. Did some fish store hopping. We had a great burger at Patrick's. Also it was one of the best meetings, talks,and mini auctions. Im not sure how many items were in the mini auctions but it took up two tables. There was also some entertainment but you'll have to ask others that attended exactly what that was. :D
Thanks againto Mike and Chuck for making the trek from St Louis.
Corey
sskruzr
Altum Angel

Postby cbaranyk » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:46 am

Awesome meeting. Hope you're feeling okay Corey. You sacrificed your health for a good cause. I'm impressed.
Chris Baranyk
cbaranyk

Postby neilhazel » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:16 am

impressed
a research based approach tips to lose face fat and Duoble Chin.Chk reduce hips fat and other Fitness Realted Tips.We Working Related Research Work.
neilhazel

Return to Meeting Information