Cichlid pellet ingredients

From angelfish to zebra cichlids

Cichlid pellet ingredients

Postby gladmaker » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:58 pm

I have some "Floating Chichlid Pellets" that says it's "Hearty food for all medium to large cichlids".
Ingredients: wheat flour, fish meal, wheat gluten, potato protein, corn starch, corn gluten, dried yeast, shrimp meal, soybean oil, monobasic calcium phosphate, lecithin, algae meal, riboflavin-5-phosphate and a long list of vitamins.
Why would fish food need wheat, potatoes, corn and soybean products? There is more wheat flour than fish meal. Looks like not much shrimp meal.
gladmaker

Re: Cichlid pellet ingredients

Postby sumpnfishy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:01 pm

Rachel O'Leary does a good job of covering this.
https://youtu.be/734kXD08j0M
sumpnfishy
Altum Angel

Postby gladmaker » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:01 pm

Explains my thoughts on the subject. I hadn't bothered to read the ingredients but just the label that said it was for cichlids. I will toss the remainder and be more observant of ingredients when I buy more.
gladmaker

Postby sumpnfishy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:07 pm

It's really surprising what some of the major brands have. Stalwarts in the industry have some of the worst ingredient lists.
sumpnfishy
Altum Angel

Postby mewickham » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:35 pm

It's not just ingredients that are a farce. Guaranteed analysis labels are virtually worthless. Crude protein is not the same as digestible protein, for example. You'll hear someone mistakenly say that a food is better because it has more protein. The dog food industry is famous for adding hydrolyzed chicken feathers to increase protein levels. But chicken feathers are 0% digestible. So, all that increased protein does is make your dog poop more. Or, you'll hear people compare protein levels of a dry food compared to a frozen food. They look at the frozen food and see that protein levels are substantially lower. That's because they are 80% water. You must remove the water-- you can do it mathematically-- to get a dry weight analysis for a true comparison.
mewickham
Site Admin

Return to Cichlids