Hand powered pump

DIY Projects or post where to find them
dennysfishroom

Hand powered pump

Post by dennysfishroom »

I've been looking for an inexpensive hand powered vacuum pump, and finally ran across some plans for one using PVC pipe. I'm going to give it a try, but as I looked at the plans, I also wondered if I could use it as a water pump. Stay tuned. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
dennysfishroom

Re: Hand powered pump

Post by dennysfishroom »

I got started on my hand vacuum pump yesterday. That's a real challenge with no depth perception. One of the problems I've run into is that I need a "cap" for a 1/2" PVC pipe. The problem is that The diameter can't be much more than the OD of the 1/2" PVC pipe. A regular cap would exceed that diameter. The article I've based this on talks about using a torch on a section of slit PVC pipe and flattening it. Any other suggestions? Once I get this done, I'm thinking I'll make a version that can be used as a water pump. Don't know if that would be helpful for draining tanks. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Those would work for a water pump, but not the vacuum pump, which is what I was originally trying to accomplish. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

It looks like my vacuum pump works. I don't know how much of a vacuum I can pull, but it was noticeable. I may make another to use as a water pump. It will depend on how bored I get in the coming weeks. Sort of cool to make it yourself, though. Denny
Blue-Ram101

Post by Blue-Ram101 »

Photos? :-)
If you have to think about it... You probably just spent to much on something for your fish tank!!
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I haven't worked on the water pump at all (besides having most of the materials), but will get around to it after a few more projects. If we have a DIY meeting next year, maybe I'll show at that time. Denny