Rookie question about platy, swordtails, and variatus.

Egglayers keep out!
elizabeth1982

Rookie question about platy, swordtails, and variatus.

Post by elizabeth1982 »

I know platy, swordtails, and variatus are technically different. My question is, while different will they breed together? I thought they would. I sort of always considered swordtails and variatus to be types of platy. Am I wrong? If I have a male swordtail, which I do, will he breed with my female platy? I do not have any variatus in my tank right now, but I have seen some really pretty ones that I'd like to get someday. I use to breed livebearers but I stuck with plain ol' platy, mollies, and guppies. I never added swordtails or variatus into the mix (until now). Thanks in advance!
"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothin' special." - Shelby Latcherie (character) from Steel Magnolias
etheonut

Re: Rookie question about platy, swordtails, and variatus.

Post by etheonut »

Yes, all three will cross very easily.
They are three species in the same genus and I believe they have been crossed before to trade "desirable" traits among the more ornamental lines.

Kevin
elizabeth1982

Post by elizabeth1982 »

etheonut wrote:Yes, all three will cross very easily.
Thank you! That is sort of what I figured, but I wasn't certain.
"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothin' special." - Shelby Latcherie (character) from Steel Magnolias
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

As a general observation, the 3 species probably don't readily inter-breed unless males or females of the same species are not available. Having said that, there are probably instances when it has happened in the wild, so it's not impossible. Just that it's not inevitable if you have 2 or 3 species in the same tank. Color varieties are another situation, however. They will readily breed with other color varieties of the same species. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I would disagree. Male livebearers are not picky at all. If it is female they will try to breed with it.

I once watched a male red sword try to breed with an orange gourami for half an hour and he had a tank full of female swords to choose from.

If I see mixed livebearers in a tank then I assume that any fry the females drop are hybrids.

Kevin
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Though they are three separate species, they not only can crossbreed, they already have. All of the platies, swordtails, and variatus in the trade (except for the occasional rare import of wild fish) are technically hybrids. They have been crossed with each other to introduce traits, such as color and fin length, to the other species. So none of the three are 100% pure.

But, having said that, the fish will preferentially mate with their own species and usually ignore the other species, unless mates of their own kind are missing. Usually. But as Kevin pointed out, there are some gold gouramies out there that are irresistibly hot! :)
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I don't think we have to worry about running across any swamis however.
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
elizabeth1982

Post by elizabeth1982 »

Well, I in my tank right now I have 5 female platy, 1 male platy, and 1 male swordtail. I guess I will just have to wait and see if any fry turn into swordtails. :)
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

That male swordtail is doing his best to mate with the girls. Since most domestic types of livebearers are hybrids of platies and swords then "mating with their own kind" could then mean either type.
And just for clarification when it comes to wild type fish: variatus are considered platies, as are the maculatus types and several other species not commonly seen in the hobby. The most common swordtails are helleri but again there are several different species that are called swordtails. Then there are a few species such as Xiphophorus birchmani that kind of fall somewhere in the middle.
Michael
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Well Elizabeth, enough information? Some of these boys just love to hear themselves type :lol:
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
elizabeth1982

Post by elizabeth1982 »

sskruzr wrote:Well Elizabeth, enough information? Some of these boys just love to hear themselves type. :lol:
I am loving the information. :)
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

She asked a question about livebearers and you don't expect a response from the guy who's on the board for the American Livebearer Association? I've got to spout off sometime!! :D
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

I can toss this out.

Some livebearers is you look at the mouth of the males have hairs (they are microscopic) which are used to stimulate the females to entice them to spawn.

I know this is the case with mollies. It is within the realm of possibility others have them too.

Your Mikes are also filled with useful information.

Need a question answered ask a Mike or Denny, they will know!
'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA