Who Wants Live Blackworms (for delivery 03/09/2012)?

Tasty nutrition for your fish
mewickham
NWAAS President

Who Wants Live Blackworms (for delivery 03/09/2012)?

Post by mewickham »

It's that time again. We band together now and then to get a great price on live blackworms. Practically all fish love them and it's fun to offer them to our fishy friends. There is no better way to put fish into breeding condition than by offering live foods! We need to order a total of at least five pounds to get a good price. If you would like to order some, details are below:

What is a blackworm?
The California blackworm, Lumbriculus variegatus, is a small aquatic worm that looks much like a tiny, black earthworm. They are one to two inches long and about the diameter of a pencil lead-- the perfect size for feeding most fish! Blackworms live in the substrate and feed on detritus.

Pick-up
You will be responsible for picking up your worms at my house in Rogers on the day that they arrive—Friday (03/09/2012). (I will send you a note with my address and driving directions, once you commit to order.) I do have a limited capacity to store some worms for delivery to the club meeting the next day (03/10/2012).

Price
The price would be the same as we actually end up paying, rounded up to the nearest dollar. Minimum order is one half pound, about one cup of worms. Last time, it worked out to $16 for one pound, or $8 for a half pound. The price should drop if we order more than five pounds total.

If you want to order, post a note here as a reply so that we can get a running count.

Payment
Once we confirm that we have enough participating to place an order, you will be able to go to https://paypal.com and click on the "Send Money" link to pay. Follow the instructions to send money to the club account (pay@nwaas.com). If the price ends up being less, we'll refund the difference when you pick up your worms. Or you can pay (cash or check) when you pick up the worms.

Guarantee
We make no guarantee beyond what the shipper offers to us (live arrival).

Care
Live blackworms are very easy to keep. I use a mini cat litter pan (10" x 14"). I place a up to a pound of worms in it, in about a half-inch of water, and place the whole thing in the refrigerator. The worms should be rinsed every day at first, but as quantities dwindle, and they clean themselves out, they can be rinsed less often. No aeration or feeding is necessary, though you can offer some fish food to them. The worms last for weeks.

To rinse the worms, merely stick the pan of worms under a faucet and run pure cold water to fill it up. Then I let the worms settle and pour off the dirty water. Repeat a time or two until the water is clean. Stick it back in the fridge.

Worm Keepers
NOTE: If anyone is interested in a live worm keeper, we can order them for around $8-9. The consist of two nested trays. The top tray has a screen bottom. Each Worm Keeper will hold up to 6 ounces of Blackworms. Simply place your worms in the screened insert tray. Fill the bottom container just enough so that your worms are submerged in 1/4" of water. To rinse, just pour water through your worms and replace the bottom container's water with the fresh.
http://www.aquaticfoods.com/images/afworm200.GIF

Worm Feeders
NOTE: If anyone is interested in a live worm feeder, we can order them for around $2. The feeder is a perforated cone that floats at the top of the tank. Place worms inside and, when they poke their heads through the holes, the fish yank them out.

Cutoff date
Cutoff date to order is Monday morning, 03/05/2012. Post a reply here if you want to get in on the deal.

Fish go nuts for these worms, so here's your chance to spoil your fish rotten and have some fun watching them worm wrestle! Live foods encourage breeding of your fishes!

Live blackworms are a real treat! (Click image for larger view.)
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
fishbit

Re: Who Wants Live Blackworms (for delivery 03/09/2012)?

Post by fishbit »

I would like togive them a try Mike.Put me dowm for a half pound.Michael
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

I'll take a half pound for sure but may take a pound if need be to make the limit. Sorry I'm gonna have to pass
Last edited by sskruzr on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I'm also in for half a pound.
Mike Wickham
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

We're not even close to five pounds, but if we can get enough people to make five pounds by tomorrow (Tuesday) morning, we could probably still make it happen in time for the meeting.
Mike Wickham
tekwyatt

Post by tekwyatt »

I know I did not make this order but just put me down for a pound next time.