Setting up my old 40 gal tank. Will be a native darter tank.

Fish from Arkansas and the USA
billandkerri001

Setting up my old 40 gal tank. Will be a native darter tank.

Post by billandkerri001 »

Hello everyone I am new here and allready said hello in the welcome forum. I have been around and have had tanks for years. My mom had tanks when I was 8 and have had up to a 125 gal. I got a div 4 yrs ago and got rid of all my tanks but a 40 gal and it has been stored 4 yrs. I am remarried a month now and I am setting my 40 back up. I need some help on some different wild species. I will give all the specfics ie; size.... 12.5x48x15.75.... Will maybe use sand for substrate.. I have 2 maxi jet 400 106 gph powerheads I will use in a foam bio filter..I have 2 whisper20 HOB I will be using. I have a UGF I will be removing when I add my substrate. I have several peices of drift wood and local rocks. My rocks are from golfball size to large flat stones. I will add air just havent decided whether to use my ph or air stones. I would like some live plants but there not a must. I have 2 full spectrum bulbs. I will upload some pics of the species I like. I like the orange throated darter and the rainbow darter. I have been doing some research online and I think I can keep 6 of any of the species and maybe all found here in Arkansas.Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks BillAndKerri...
Bill
40 Gal Long Tank
New setup will be all Native Fish
Plants,Rocks,and Substrate.
Herpchat

Re: Setting up my old 40 gal tank. Will be a native darter tank.

Post by Herpchat »

For native type looking plants I would go with elodea, hornwort, foxtail, and maybe valisnaria.

Those would look nice with the rock work.

Now can't wait until you get it running because I want PICS!

I am also going to do an article on setting up native tanks and want to dedicate an issue of our newsletter to native fishes!
'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA
billandkerri001

Good Morning Everyone. Just got home frome taking the wife to work. I need to get my honey do's done lol... I am undecided on setting the tank up now, with the frame being broke and glued back together. He used some really good glue but I have never repaired a frame before. Gorilla Glue Super Glue is supposed to be some of the best glue out there. I have allways replaced a frame if it broke or cracked. Any thoughts on this anyone? I will try to keep a journal on this tank once I start setting up for native Darters. They are really a cool looking little fish and I can't wait to get my tank up. I am just being cautious on setup so as not to do something wrong and injure or even kill my fish.

Bill
Bill
40 Gal Long Tank
billandkerri001

Well I called the Arkansas Game and Fish today. The lady in the fisheries dept is sending me the regulations and the list of fish and plants I can collect and the regulations on keeping wild fish and plants. She stated that I did not have to have my state fishing liscense to have wild caught fish in an aquarium but did have to have it to collect them. She also said depending on the species and what my purpose was would depend on wethere I would have to have a comercial permit. I will post my findings as soon as I get the info she is mailing me today.
Bill
40 Gal Long Tank