Collecting trip to War Eagle 4/18/12

Fish from Arkansas and the USA
dennysfishroom

Collecting trip to War Eagle 4/18/12

Post by dennysfishroom »

Mike W., Michael G and myself went on a collecting trip to war Eagle Mill this morning to get pictures for the May meeting of NWAAS. The trip was a complete success, and the pictures and discussion should be an interesting topic for May. I'll let Mike and Michael fill in some of the details of what we caught, but this was a local trip that anyone in this area could make to get your feet wet so to speak about native collecting. Fortunately we didn't get any pictures of the swan dive by yours truly, but I was the only one not bothered by the cold water. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
sumpnfishy

Re: Collecting trip to War Eagle 4/18/12

Post by sumpnfishy »

I was not bothered by the cold water! I just thought it was cold when I first stepped in. I'll make up a list of the species we caught but I think I'll turn on the computer for that. A bit too much for the kindle keyboard I think!
Michael
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

last two trips I've been there I've wondered what could be caught. there have been a lot of people fishing both times. the first trip a couple years ago, there was one family catching a lot of crayfish just past the mill. This last trip, there was a guy trying (notice I said trying, not succeeding) to bow-fish off the bridge. I was afraid of him hitting someone on accident but fortunately he wasn't there all that long. lots of fishermen but I couldn't tell what they were catching (I did notice they were catching a lot of rocks and limbs though)..

I considered bringing my snorkel this last trip but I figured it'd be cold so I didn't. can't wait to see what you caught.. Kyle
Okarche, OK
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I took along a photo tank this time and some anti-fog lens wipes to try on the glass. It turns out that, even though the water was fairly cold, the tank didn't fog up. I guess the last time we tried, we were in colder water. Perhaps being in direct sunlight made a difference, too. In any case, we were able to throw a few species in to the photo tank to get better pictures than the usual shots of the fish flopping around in a hand or the net.

I think I also got some good underwater shots-- both snaps and video-- of some species. I won't know until I load them onto the computer for a closer look, tomorrow.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

Nice!
'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA
worldf

Post by worldf »

Pics!
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

The pics will be our presentation for May. After the meeting, some may be available if people can't make the meeting. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

I can't make this as I will be at my son's graduation.
'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA