Guppy breeding question

Egglayers keep out!
Airbrusher

Guppy breeding question

Post by Airbrusher »

Its been along time since we had any, so about 3 weeks ago I added two pairs of fancy guppies to one of our tanks, and yesterday I noticed some babies swimming around in the floating Parrots feather, and I got to looking and the smallest female was nestled into the plants giving birth. This took me by surprise since she didn't even look pregnant at all, while the other female is fat and sassy and looks like she could explode any moment. After seeing a couple of the new babies become a snack to the mother, I decided I should go ahead and put the really fat female in a breeder tank I had standing by.....but now that I have she seems to be freaking out for alot longer then I expected.....will she calm down or should I have just left her alone and let her do her thing in the plants like the other female and risk loosing alot or all of the babies?

Are there good ways of identifying that a female guppy is about ready to birth other then they are obviously pregnant and about to pop.....I keep looking at those "Gravid spots", but they were dark when we brought them home and they are still dark now, so I haven't seen much difference in that area. Although the spot on the female that just gave birth is noticably lighter in color then it was.....Is that what I should be looking for....a really dark spot vs a light colored spot?
stpierce

Re: Guppy breeding question

Post by stpierce »

I am no expert but, when I kept a few guppies I had one that would always become huge and always expected fry from her about a week before she would drop. I had two others that were a little bit smaller and would barely get bigger before they dropped. I did find they were pretty consistent on which ones would get huge and which ones wouldn't. Like I said, that was my experience, don't take it as universal fact.
Airbrusher

Post by Airbrusher »

Shes calmed down alot since putting her in the little floating breeder tank, but caging her away from the others just almost seems cruel, and i'm considering putting her back into the tank with the other fish and just let her spawn in the plants, and let nature takes its course.....What do you think?
Airbrusher

Post by Airbrusher »

Well, I guess she made up my mind for me...lol. She jumped out of the floating breeder tank, and was milling around with the other guppies this morning so I guess i'll just leave her be, and let her do her thing in the plants....lol
mistymists

Post by mistymists »

Next time put some plants in there with her so she'll feel hidden. If you use some of the floating plants from your tank she'll probably not jump. Also make sure you feed her after moving her. Fat and happy mommas tend not to eat their babies. I had lots of trouble with baby eating until I started making sure she's well fed. I over feed her in a breeder net and then my other Guppies eat the excess by sucking it through the mesh.
One day I will have at least one tank in every room in my house. Three down so many more to go!