Homemade food

Tasty nutrition for your fish
dennysfishroom

Homemade food

Post by dennysfishroom »

Just sort of wondering if anyone has tried making home made frozen fish food using ground up fish? Since I sell mostly colored up males, I've got an over abundance of unattractive female fish. When I make frozen food, I usually add whole shrimp. What would happen if I substituted my extra females. In the wild fish eat fish so I can't see a problem. Anything I've overlooked? Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
snakeskinner

Re: Homemade food

Post by snakeskinner »

the only problem I could think of would be if you happened to grind up a fish with some sort of disease and then feed it to all your other fish. not sure if freezing will kill everything you might encounter but worth a look.. Kyle
Okarche, OK
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: Homemade food

Post by mewickham »

You've overlooked the fact that you could probably sell a pound of female African cichlids for enough money to buy several pounds of fish at the grocery store. :)

It's probably a minimal issue, but Kyle is right that it could be an easy vector for disease-- especially since it's intraspecies. I'm thinking of those cannibals in New Guinea or somewhere who ate the brains of their dead as an honorific-- then all contracted the human version of mad cow disease from it.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair