Fall ponds

Outdoor fishkeeping!
dennysfishroom

Fall ponds

Post by dennysfishroom »

Ponds can be very interesting in the fall. As I was trying to take the livebearers out of my main pond, I found out that the goldfish had spawned sometime during the spring/fall, and I had some young fish in there. Not really sure how many, but at least a few. In one of the stock tanks, I finally saw some fry swimming around. Don't know for sure what I'm looking at, but I did put some American flagfish in there last spring, and never saw them again. As far as I know, I didn't put anything else in there this year. I keep seeing something moving in another stock tank, but can't figure out what it is. It's fairly large, but could be a frog. I can't get close enough to see anything more than a flash of color diving to the bottom. Wonder if I'll be able to catch anything before it gets too cold. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
Sundance

Re: Fall ponds

Post by Sundance »

maybe we could run a seine through it? :)
S u n d a n c e
"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." Emerson
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Shock it?

Kevin
kribkid17

Post by kribkid17 »

I do a big water change in the fall and if you drain the water down, usually it's easier to catch the fish. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a frog in there. I'm have a big bull frog in mine that I am trying to catch, I think he is eating my fish
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I see frogs in the ponds all the time. It's just that I can't get close enough to this particular pond to see any details. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I finally got around to making a fish trap out of a 2L bottle. I placed it in the pond this morning for the first time trying to catch some of the baby fish I had seen it there. I didn't catch any babies, but there was one adult fish (probably American Flag Fish) in the trap at noon. I'll have to keep an eye on that to see if anything else shows up. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Well, I'm up to a total of 8 American Flag Fish now. I know there are some smaller ones in the tanks, but they've only got a couple days to get caught before the temp drops too low.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I love flagfish.

Kevin
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I got 3 more yesterday for a total of 11. I don't think we were down under freezing here last night, but I'll keep trying through the weekend at least. If I get more, maybe I'd have some available at the auction. I'm also going to try to hatch some Northobranchius that may find their way to the auction. We'll see. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I'm up to a total of 15 right now. Assuming everyone makes the transition to indoors, that means I'll be bringing at least one bag of the American flag fish to our December auction. Denny
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

And you can apply for BAP points!
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Then I'd have to bring five to the mini-auction. Denny
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

I would you think you could BAP them at the auction.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Just an observation. I've got 2 of the fish traps out in my 300 gallon stock tank. I end up with multiple fish in one of the traps and nothing in the other. I'm catching fish with both traps, just not at the same time. I'm up to a total of 24 so far. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

After my "success" last fall with the American Flag Fish, I had decided to put some sailfin mollies out in the ponds this summer. I put a pair in and never saw them again. Just on the off chance that I'd have the same experience this year, I put out some traps to see if I could get the mollies. When I pulled up the traps, I had fish again this year - American Flag Fish. They didn't take well to trapping, but I could see some had amazing color. I'm going to try some more trapping with a minnow trap to see if I can get some more for this winter in the garage. One thing this does prove is that American Flag Fish can over-winter here (at least in mild winters). Denny
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

very cool... I knew the flagfish were tough little killies, didn't know they could take such cool temps..

btw, kudos for using the correct name. a lot of people incorrectly call them Forida flagfish since they come from Florida

Kyle
Okarche, OK