Turtle Island

Crayfish, shrimp, snails, newts, frogs, turtles, etc.
dennysfishroom

Turtle Island

Post by dennysfishroom »

I'm in the process of setting up the 300 gallon stock tank for the turtles. I'm trying to figure out what I could use for a floating platform so they can bask under a light. I've been thinking about maybe getting some of the closed cell foam insulation and shaping it like a big lily pad with some ramps to get on. Also maybe cutting a hole in the center to put a tupperware container filled with sand/peat moss for them to lay eggs in if they are so inclined. Do you think I could treat the foam just like people have done with 3D backgrounds? Not sure if the turtles would destroy it if I used that. I could also use some indoor/outdoor carpeting to surface the foam. What do you think? Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
dennysfishroom

Re: Turtle Island

Post by dennysfishroom »

How big an area do turtles need to lay eggs, and how deep does it have to be? Denny
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Species dependent.

Kevin
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Red-eared sliders. One female is about 8-10 inches across. The other is smaller. Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

They will tear up the styrofoam as their claws are fairly sharp. I kept some in a styrofoam cooler just overnight recently and they tore it to pieces. I like the idea but maybe there is a way to cover it with plastic or maybe paint it with a cement coating to stiffen if up. A 12 by 24 inch box 8 inches deep would be big enough for an egg box. just my opinions. the thicker the better for the styrofoam to support the wieight of the sand. Will be a fun project. Gminor on the Haas forum is a good resource for foam work. Be sure to document the porcess. I did the idea!

Jack
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I've used Styrofoam to make turtle islands before, covering it with bark. Some places sell unprocessed cork bark for reptile cages that works nicely.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Well I'm up and running with the new turtle tank. So far I've introduced all the turtles in it now, and everything is running. They haven't figured out the ramp yet, but I'm hoping that will be taken care of by tomorrow. Now we wait and see. I'll try to get some pictures posted this weekend. Denny
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

just FYI, I'm told some of the expansive foam sprays such as the "great stuff" are toxic in an aqurium so just beware of that. not sure if you have the island built yet but have you considered using some PVC that is capped, maybe halfway full of air with some water inside (not really sure, havn't played with it) and then covering it with wood? Kyle
Okarche, OK
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I posted a few pictures of my turtles and what I did for them in the Gallery under Denny's Pics if anyone is interested. So far no one has climbed up the ramp. I'm just hoping it's not too steep. I may have to adjust the pitch in a week or so if they don't find their way up there. They do know who feeds them. Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

Looks kind of familiar but better done. Good Job.

Jack
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I stole your idea Jack. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Well at least one of the turtles has found his way unto the dry area. Don't know if he spent any time under the light, but I hope the other do eventually. Whenever I approach the tank, they are ready to have me feed them I just have to be careful if I have a worm in my fingers. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Hey Jack,

Did your turtles go after your indoor/outdoor carpet? I've found a bunch floating in the tank. Hopefully they aren't trying to eat it. Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

Their claws shreaded the edges and it was constantly in the filter but they did not eat it as far as i know. I guess I should have turned the edge over when I installed it but I did no. Hope all is well in the turtle pond. My little baby Texas Maps are sure cute. Fun to have some baby turtles again. I am down to the babies, my big yellow belly and the older Texas Map. That is enough.
exotictropicals

Post by exotictropicals »

jackie i have a big piece of floating wood i used for a basking area for turtle and im willing to part with it to the right person for a fair price
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I just added some pictures of my outdoor turtle pond in the Gallery today. FYI. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Boy. Talk about decisions. I just found someone who has baby red eared sliders that supposedly were temperature incubated to be females. I know it's not 100% (see Jack D.), but it's hard to think about spending over $300 for a baby turtle with no absolute guaranty that it will be a female. Wish me luck on this. Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

Are they albino red ear sliders or just red ear sliders? I almost bought 2 albino babies from a guy in San Fran. but he would not guarantee them at all they were around $ 250 each. If I could get some with a real guarantee of sex I would buy them. Good luck to both of us. jack
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

They were albinos. He says they were heat incubated to be females, but what happens if you can't tell for 2 years, and then what's the guarantee worth. Denny
fishbit

Post by fishbit »

There is a foam that is black I have found af home depo that is made for sealing waterfalls in fish ponds. I have used it with no problem and they are using it to aquascape marine tanks now.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I might have to try that next summer to give them a place to lay eggs. It might make a good floating island in the pond. Denny