Plastic travel containers for fish

DIY Projects or post where to find them
dennysfishroom

Plastic travel containers for fish

Post by dennysfishroom »

Last summer I tried using some of the small plastic shoe boxes and storage containers to take some fish to the HAAS Swap Meet. It did work well for getting the fish there, but I did notice some water spillage from those containers into the styrofoam box during transport. Not a big problem, but I decided to try to fix it for the future. I ended up running a bead of silicone rubber around the edge of the lid to act as a gasket. I'm not sure if it helped or not. If I put some water in the container, attach the lid, and then turn it upside down, I'll still got water coming out. I may take it with me the next time we travel to see if the water seepage is any less during the movement while driving. Stay tuned. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
slimbolen99

Re: Plastic travel containers for fish

Post by slimbolen99 »

Denny - were those the larger cereal containers that you were having difficulty with spilling? I would think that if you're filling those half full, there wouldn't be as much splashing? Of course, there would be less surface area. Maybe placing a piece of saran wrap over the top and then attaching the lid? I did like your idea though. Seemed very useful for swap meets.
dennysfishroom

Re: Plastic travel containers for fish

Post by dennysfishroom »

I was thinking the lids would fit tight and provide a seal When I looked close and started using the silicone, I found that the lids had ribs or stops so the lid itself didn't touch the top of the container body. I was trying to fill in the gaps, but it's a little hard to judge the depth to get a uniform gasket thickness. I'll have to try it next time I take a styro to a fish store. I'll keep fooling with it. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!