Air Pump Project

DIY Projects or post where to find them
dennysfishroom

Air Pump Project

Post by dennysfishroom »

I use a 1/8hp Gast pump to provide air for my tanks. The way this particular pump was set up, there was an air filter on the intake. This filter was a rigid tube about 3 inches long and 1 1/2 - 2 inches in diameter. I would have to replace the filter every six months or so as dust collected on it, and eventually reduced the airflow. Unfortunately, these filters could not be cleaned and were only available at a few places in the country. In addition, they were very expensive ( $6-10 each plus shipping). I began to look for a less expensive and more readily available option to replace this filter. I was thinking in terms of building a housing and using car air filters or something similar. Everything I came up with was just way too expensive, bulky, and complicated. I was talking to my son this past weekend about some projects he's working on (which had nothing to do with fish), when an idea came to me out of the blue as to how to accomplish what I was trying to do very simply and inexpensively, and with a foam filter that can be cleaned by just rinsing under the water faucet. Talk about a serendipity moment. So far it's working great. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!