NWA planted tanks?

Add some green (or red or pink or purple) to your aquarium!
krimson

NWA planted tanks?

Post by krimson »

Is there anyone up here doing planted tanks...everyone i meet who is in to the hobbie in NWA has ugly tanks with plastic plants and african cichlids...not that theres anything wrong with africans but it seems like if its not from petco no one knows anything about it. i posted on craigslist to trade plants but no responces. anyone where want to trade clippings...have over 30 diffrent plants and all but 3 could yeld clippings...,.thanx
Knowlage is the name we give our mistakes....Albert Einstine
dennysfishroom

Re: NWA planted tanks?

Post by dennysfishroom »

We've got several "plant" people in the club, but many are just between what they had set up, and what they are going to set up. Most of the plants at our auction Saturday were brought by John Wyatt, who will be giving a talk to the club about DIY LED's this summer. His plants were certainly impressive, and may spark other people to become more involved in plants. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Know John's handle on the forum?
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Try tekwyatt.
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
im2smart4u

Post by im2smart4u »

I have a planted tank, but it is only a low tech 25 gallon. I have seen your post on craigslist, but all I have are common plants. I probably have nothing that you don't already have. I used to have a much better selection, but neglect killed most of it last year. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=231682 <<< Here is a link that has a picture of my tank. The picture was taken several months ago, but not much has changed. I moved the swords to my cichlid tank and added some baby tears and and a red lilly. Also, I trim and replant the stems, to fill it out more.
krimson

Post by krimson »

Nice tank dude...are u still having algea problems... if so try raising the salt level up, i had the same thing happen in my 125 planted and the hair algea went away. ill tell u what next time i do a trim ill send u a mesage on here and ill hook u up with some plants....just cause
im2smart4u

Post by im2smart4u »

Yes, I am still having algae problems. The tank in the link has a greenish black fuzzy algae. It isn't on the stem plants, but it is on the driftwood, anubias, and hair grass. I am not sure what is causing it, but I haven't done a lot of research into it yet. I have cut back my light period to 8 hours on a timer... it used to be on from when I got home from work to when I turned it off for bed, which could be anywhere from 6 to 12 hours.

And new plants are always appreciated. I would be willing to share, too, but I doubt I have anything you want. Let me know if you see something in one of my pics.
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

That black beard algae is the worst kind. Try darkness aka no light, siamese algae eaters, american flagfish and flouish excell. I have never found a permanent cure for it other than bleach! :oops: Good luck with it.

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/FlourishExcel.html
jlgeorge

Post by jlgeorge »

Ok so I'm going to start a planted tank, not sure what size yet. Any suggestions on where to get a decent deal on a CO2 system, or at least a bottle? I've got regulators and solenoid valves I can get from work.
John George
krimson

Post by krimson »

i got my bottle from airgas in springdale ...it was 120 for a new 20# expencive i know but its only 30$ to refill and mine is going on month 4 while doing a 125 and a 30. its a investment for sure but i have to take a lawn mower to mine every other week and the fish love it...best thing i ever did for my tank.....
ps...get a drop checker to get ur co2 right too high and it will kill ur fish to low and no plant growth