Turtle Island

Crayfish, shrimp, snails, newts, frogs, turtles, etc.
dennysfishroom

Turtle Island

Post by dennysfishroom »

I decided to make an island for the turtles for when they are outside just in case they decide to lay eggs. I never work from plans, so I'm not always sure it will turn out as I've planned in my head, but I think it looks pretty good. I was also able to use a lot of misc building supplies I had around, so that was a plus as well. Now I just have to get another box of screws (I ran out), paint it, put the foam floats on, and cover the top, and put the indoor/outdoor carpet on (left over from when I built the dry area for my indoor tank). I should have it done by this weekend. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
Jackielee

Re: Turtle Island

Post by Jackielee »

Will look forward to pics! If I was going to build on today I think I would experiment with the spray foam insulation. I have seen some very creative backgrounds made with that and think it might be possible to make a neat natural looking floating island. Maybe one day. Good luck withe project.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I'm looking to put a roof over the island to keep the sun and rain out of the tray. I need some feedback as to whether this is necessary, or if the eggs might incubate better in full sun? What do you think? Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

I would want the nest to get sun.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

You probably need some kind of drainage to be sure it doesn' t fill with water.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I'm close to finishing, but won't be able to finish until the next time I go to town. I had stain for the wood, but not a sealer. I'll have drain holes in the bottom of the container, and I'm adjusting the height so the bottom of the container will just barely be in water so it keeps the "soil" damp. I may have to adjust my design as the island is placed in the water, but I won't know until I test it. Just in time for my new addition. I am taking pictures as I go along. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I think I finished my turtle island today (I hope). I floated it in the turtle tank, and just thought I needed to raise it a little bit. I had just enough styrofoam for one more 1/2 inch layer. Tomorrow I'll try floating it again. I still need to drill drain holes in the plastic container, and add the remainder of the media. Once I put it in the stock tank, I'm going to take some of my turtles outside for the summer. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I have good news and bad news concerning my turtles. I was concerned that either one or both of my regular colored females escaped from the outdoor stock tank. In the last several days I began to think I might still have one in there. The bad news was that I left the water faucet running in the stock tanks over night. The good news was that the water was clear enough this morning to see that both females were still in the stock tank. I hate it when I forget to turn the water off. Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

I am glad it was on the turtles and not fish. I helped a business with a Koi pond a few years ago. A janitor left the water running on the pond one night and killed almost all of the mature Koi in the pond. It was a very sad day. More photos please of the turtles and the island!
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I did try to take pictures as I was building the island, but I'm not sure if I've got recent pictures of the turtles. I supposed I could give a mini-talk on the island, which would force me to organize the pics I did take. I'll have to decide on whether to do the island or our spring trip to the Tennessee Aquarium this Saturday. Denny
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Hey Denny last weekend I went to the river and I caught 8 turtles!
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

What kind? Interesting to know what's available around here. Denny
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Red ear sliders and I think the other were just regular river turtles. I couldn't tell what kind