The Saltwater Journey

Marine Fish - Invertebrates - Reefs
Jackielee

The Saltwater Journey

Post by Jackielee »

Well I just had to go and do it. I have been very happy with a fish only salt tank for a long time but I just decided one day to see what it takes to go into some corals, mushroom, and anemones. Well it is a lot. Different lighting needs, different filtration needs and different water quality needs. The funny thing is it is a relatively small tank 30 gallon and I have really small ambitions and just want a few organisms but they all need more than what I had so here we go.

I am mid stream of adding an additional sump/refugium. I just am about halfway there with the water system, have RO now adding DI soon. Bought a new LED programmable light that does the whole light cycle of night, sunrise, day and sunset.

This is a lot of time, money and effort for a few sea creatures but I hope I learn a few things that one day I will be happy that I know.

The journey is definitely a continuing saga!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: The Saltwater Journey

Post by mewickham »

Jackielee wrote:Different lighting needs, different filtration needs and different water quality needs.
You forgot to mention different and bigger bank accounts. :) And more work. There are some spectacularly beautiful animals, though.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

The cost is a major factor. Thanks to the kindness of some friends I have curbed the costs on many piece but have had to drop some serious change into water system and lighting. I am trying to hold my course but I hope it will be worth the effort if and when I do have a few pretty corals in the tank. Time will tell.
SeafariStu

Post by SeafariStu »

Let me know if you need any help or have any questions...unlike freshwater I actually know a little something about corals.
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

Thanks, I appreciate that. I will have questions.

This is the sump/refugium I added. It Is about 23 gallons and the tank is maybe 30 gallons. Thinking about putting some sand on one side and macro algae types and a couple of base rocks in both sides and then adding a small LED light for them.