Moss wall- need suggestions.

Add some green (or red or pink or purple) to your aquarium!
Sillyscienceteacher

Moss wall- need suggestions.

Post by Sillyscienceteacher »

I have bare bottom tanks for my Axolotls. However, I have been raising my own daphnia for about 6 months and would like to start adding plant features for the daphnia to hide in. I would like to use plastic mesh (like from Hobby lobby) to create a moss wall if I can find a short growing moss and would also like to use smaller squares for a few "carpeted" places on the bottom of the tank. Is this a crazy idea? Has anyone else done this before? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Booyadee

Re: Moss wall- need suggestions.

Post by Booyadee »

Java moss is probably the easiest to care for higher light will give you bushy moss normal light/ low light it will be stringy. you must do regular water changes. It won't stay short you'll have to trim it when it gets to long. As far as the squares on the bottom it will collect a lot of debris. In my experience it grows pretty good with 2 wpg light and co2. slow grower other wise. It likes water flow. It might be easier to just throw a bunch of hornwort in there. Its a fast growing oxygenating floating plant. Something you would find in a pond or lake as opposed to the moss which you would find in moving water.