Which silicone is safe for aquariums?

DIY Projects or post where to find them
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Which silicone is safe for aquariums?

Post by sskruzr »

I know this subject comes up every so often and guys are saying don't use GE silicone II, cause it contains mold inhibitors and will eventually kill the fish.
I've used it in tanks 30 gallons and less for years with no ill effects. Maybe because I change water every week or I just don't leave the tank up long enough.

So here's the point of all this, I just bought a tube GE Silicone I at Lowe's in Springdale. Whew-hew!!!
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
tbalan

Re: Which silicone is safe for aquariums?

Post by tbalan »

So what do you use on tanks larger than 30 gallons?
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

I only used silicone lI once that I had an issue but after a few weeks and water changes it is fine. The Fish reacted badly to it but at first now they do fine in that tank. I prefer to used silicone 1 as I never have had an issue with it.
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

For larger than 30g I always use an aquarium manufacturers' brand. Perfecto, ALL-GLASS, Marineland. I can tell a difference in manufacturers' brand over GE. It seems to be thicker. And besides, I've never seen a "GE" aquarium.
Corey Mohrhauser
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

never tried to use the silicone II and have no idea what problems it might have. what I do know is that when you buy the "Aquarium Silicone" you are buying GE Silicone I for windows and doors. If you talk to GE, they say their Silicone I for windows and doors is NOT aquarium safe. I'm not exactly sure what the deal is. What I think is that GE doesn't want the liability of selling their products for aquarium use so they sell it in bulk, unmarked, to a vendor who then labels and sells it for aquarium use and then they have liability insurance in case of any mishaps which may explain why it's like 3 times as much.

whatever the case, I use GE silicone I for windows and doors and have for years without ever having an issue. I have heard multiple people say not to use silicone II but no evidence as to why... Kyle
Okarche, OK
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

I should have said I prefer to use the Aquarium brands of silicone but like Kyle I am not sure the difference between it Silicone I. I do have evidence of what Silicone II does. The many of the fish even big SA cichlids kind of molted and died. Not all but I lost several fish in the process. Now it is fine in that tank but I did pay a price for thinking I grabbed I and actually getting number II. :lol:
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

I'm betting if you get a tube of Silicone I and an aquarium manufacturer's brand side by side, you'll see a definite difference. i'm just saying.
Corey Mohrhauser
Chard56

Post by Chard56 »

Why take that chance when you can buy Marineland 100% silicone aquarium sealant in a 10.3 ounce tube for $8.99 plus shipping. I usually buy two or three tubes at a time so I have it on hand at all times. http://www.bigalspets.com/100-clear-silicone-aquarium-sealant-10-3-oz.html
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Chard56 wrote:Why take that chance when you can buy Marineland 100% silicone aquarium sealant in a 10.3 ounce tube for $8.99 plus shipping. I usually buy two or three tubes at a time so I have it on hand at all times. http://www.bigalspets.com/100-clear-silicone-aquarium-sealant-10-3-oz.html
You know it!!!!
Corey Mohrhauser
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

sskruzr wrote:
Chard56 wrote:Why take that chance when you can buy Marineland 100% silicone aquarium sealant in a 10.3 ounce tube for $8.99 plus shipping. I usually buy two or three tubes at a time so I have it on hand at all times. http://www.bigalspets.com/100-clear-silicone-aquarium-sealant-10-3-oz.html
You know it!!!!

honestly? I've never seen that stuff before. Last time I bought any "aquarium" silicone it was $15 for a tube. I might actually have bought this marineland stuff had I found it (or maybe they didn't carry it at that time) but since I've resealed dozens of tanks with the GE silicone I door and window, I'm confident it is good stuff without problems.

thanks for the link though, I'll remember that in the future. Kyle
Okarche, OK