Outdoor Turtle Tank

Outdoor fishkeeping!
dennysfishroom

Outdoor Turtle Tank

Post by dennysfishroom »

As many of you know, I've had my turtles outside during the summer for the past few years. I've been trying to figure out how i can make an area for them where they could lay eggs if they're so inclined, but without success. This year I decided to have an enclosure attached to the stock tank where they can lay eggs. My plan was to cut a rectangular hole in the side of the stock tank just above the high water mark. I'd have a platform on the stock tank side so they could get out of the water, and a sandy area on the other side of the wall for egg laying. I finally cut the hole yesterday. Then I thought maybe I should test it out just to make sure my female turtles would fit through the opening. It's a good thing I did. I had to increase the opening by about an inch so they would fit. Next week I'll actually start making the platforms. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
dennysfishroom

Re: Outdoor Turtle Tank

Post by dennysfishroom »

I may have to accelerate my revisions on the outdoor turtle tank. I was looking in the tank in the garage today, and I think I saw some turtle eggs that had been laid in the sand/peat moss tubs. It looks like none are viable right now, but it definitely would be progress for them to have laid eggs. There were probably around 6 in the sand. Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

that is very exciting news to me! Hope you can hatch some! Jack
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

They would all be normal colored, but all carrying the albino gene. At least I know that they can/will lay eggs now. Is this the 3rd year since I got the males from you Jack? The 2 normal females haven't been with any other male for at least that long. Probably another 2-3 year before my albino female is old enough to lay eggs. Hopefully, I'll have had at least a little experience raising baby turtles by then. I'll have to start looking into what I should be doing to incubate the eggs before I actually need to start doing it. Anyone have any experience with that that you'd care to share? Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm

This guy is usually a good resource of reptile and amphibians.