New guy

Tell us about yourself! Find tips on using our forum.
Nativekeeper

New guy

Post by Nativekeeper »

I just wanted to introduce myself, I've kept an aquarium for a few years now and only learned about this organization recently. Right now I have two tanks, a 29 gallon with two black banded sunfish, three blue spotted sunfish, one spotted madtom, and two Siamese algae eaters. My other tank is 55 gallons with one 8 inch yellow bullhead catfish, and one 5 inch black crappie. I plan on upgrading the 55 gallon to a 100 gallon soon as the crappie is running out of room as he grows. I prefer native freshwater species but have kept some tropical In the past.
Jordan V.
Jackielee

Re: New guy

Post by Jackielee »

Welcome it was nice to see you at the meeting and to meet your dad too. Bullheads are cool! I m actually trying to find some pumpkinseed or longear sunfish for a tank. Jack
Nativekeeper

Post by Nativekeeper »

Thanks, I really enjoyed the presentation. It was very informative and interesting hearing about your experiences keeping large fish. If your going to keep any of the larger sunfish, make sure they have a good lid on the tank. They aren't very strong, but I have had a few jump, especially when they're younger. Also, what would you recommend for filteration on a 100 gallon tank?
Last edited by Nativekeeper on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jordan V.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Welcome, Jordan! You'll have to join us on a native fish collecting trip next time we go.

Jack, those long-ear sunfish are awesome. They don't stay small like the species Jordan has, but the red and blue in them is amazing.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

Thanks guys.

Filtration on a 100 gallon either a canister filter designed for at least 400 gph or more or a couple of HOB filters like Emperor 400's. Plus aeration and a couple sponge filters if possible. Jack
Nativekeeper

Post by Nativekeeper »

Thanks. Jordan
Jordan V.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Sorry Corey and I missed you last Saturday. We were at the national Am. Cichlid Assoc convention. We do have several members interested in natives. Welcome. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
Nativekeeper

Post by Nativekeeper »

How was the convention? Jordan
Jordan V.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

The convention was great. It was probably the best run ACA convention I've been to over the last 7 or 8 years (I did miss a few however in that time). Good setup, well organized, and interesting fish. I've got my pictures downloaded into the computer now, but I have to go through and find out which are the keepers. I'll post them once I get that done. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!