New to Aquaponics

Tell us about yourself! Find tips on using our forum.
Fishfarmer

New to Aquaponics

Post by Fishfarmer »

I live in Rogers and have started my first Aquaponics system. I want to learn everything there is to know about this subject and it would be great to meet other people who are into the same thing. I am a hands on learner and would love to see some one's system or show anyone what I have learned.
Chard56

Re: New to Aquaponics

Post by Chard56 »

Let's see your setup. I've been wanting to do something with old dirty tank water other than flush it down the toilet.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I'm thinking about doing a mini-talk on my adventures with Aquaponics at the September meeting. FYI. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
GrakFu

Post by GrakFu »

Not sure how I missed the initial post here. Aquaponics is an amazing idea and from what I've gathered, in reality it is almost as good. I missed September's meeting so I don't know if anyone discussed this topic.
I don't truely aquaponic but I do garden. We have about 75sq ft of food garden and another 40 of flower beds. We use our aquarium waste to water all of our house plants and outdoor gardens. We have 133g worth of aquarium water and change roughly 40g a week. I have a 55g barrel I use to collect Aquarium water if it has recently rained.
Our food gardens are insanely overgrown, our grass is greenist on the block and our flower beds provide us with enough to make bouquets weekly and still have enough to gather seeds 2-4 times a season.
Our aquaponic-ing is limited to plants that get broken by our dogs. We simply slip the broken stem into a piece of eggcrate light diffuser over the top of the tank. Once it has rooted, and usually flowered, we plant the would be dead stem in the ground. Works wonders for starting bumper crops without any of the hassle of starting/sowing new seeds.