Fish Growing Contest

From angelfish to zebra cichlids
dennysfishroom

Fish Growing Contest

Post by dennysfishroom »

Corey and I are working on putting a fish growing contest together for this fall/winter. We haven't decided on all the details yet, but are thinking of using one of the smaller cichlids available. Without having any of the details worked out, the general outline of what we've got in mind would be to have interested hobbyists pay a small fee to receive a quantity of the cichlid fry (pretty small size), and you'd have some defined period of time to grow your fish to the biggest size you can. At the end of the proscribed time, the fish would be brought in and weighed with some award to the person whose fish had grown the most. Be thinking of whether you'd be interested in participating as we try to locate the contest fish species and get them to spawn. If you got your contest fish to spawn after the contest, you could also get BAP points for your efforts. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
tbalan

Re: Fish Growing Contest

Post by tbalan »

I'd be interested depending on the fish chosen.
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

Me too!
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Me 3
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

We haven't forgotten about contest, but we have had problems deciding on the fish. We'd like to get an attractive fish that's not terribly aggressive, doesn't get overly large, and has relatively large broods. Those all narrow the list down, but Corey is going to be getting some Geo's that might work, and I'm going to see about possibly getting some Firemouths. Maybe between us we can work out something. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Well keep your fingers crossed. I think I may have had my first spawn from the Firemouth cichlids I got for the fish growing contest. This spawn might not be big enough for the contest, but if I can verify that it is actually a spawn, I'll put the pair in a separate tank, and maybe we can use the next spawn. Unfortunately, the pair is still pretty small. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

The eggs are gone this morning, but now I'll have to pull the pair out of the tank, and put them in a tank by themselves. Next time should be better. I really thought they were too small to start breeding. Denny
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

dennysfishroom wrote:The eggs are gone this morning, but now I'll have to pull the pair out of the tank, and put them in a tank by themselves. Next time should be better. I really thought they were too small to start breeding. Denny
well when nature calls......
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

We had 7 members enter the fish growing contest last Saturday. If you missed the meeting, but still want to participate, contact Corey to arrange getting and paying for you 6 fish. The contest runs till the December meeting at which time your biggest fish will be weighed to see who wins the prize. Since I'm not going to be able to weigh them if they aren't at least 2 inches. we may extend the growing contest if no one has a fish big enough to get a weight. We will probably decide as we approach the December meeting. The contestants so far are:

James
Michael
Jordan
Will
Gram
Leslie
Denny

Let the trash talking begin. Denny
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Don't forget the fish growing contest will be decided at the Christmas party.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP