Time to Get Going Again

From angelfish to zebra cichlids
dennysfishroom

Time to Get Going Again

Post by dennysfishroom »

I'm beginning to think it's time for me to get started breeding fish again. I've had a lot of non-fish projects projects going on this year, so the fish breeding has kind of slipped. They are winding down now so it's time to ramp up my efforts with the fish. I did have some Firemouths spawn, but now I should probably move them out of the 135 and probably replace them with some Jack Dempseys that carry the electric blue gene. In theory about 25% of any fry should be Electric Blues. I also know I've got several female East African Peacocks carrying eggs which I should put in maternity tanks, some Tilapia bythobates that are showing signs of spawning, as well as some Laetacara dorsigerus. Hopefully, today is the day I move all these fish around to get some breeding activity going. Stay tuned. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Re: Time to Get Going Again

Post by sskruzr »

What about the EB acaras? They should be ready in a few months
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

They weren't ready this afternoon though. I did get quite a bit done, but still have some things to do tomorrow. Actually probably for quite a few days. Denny
GrakFu

Post by GrakFu »

After our extended no light period in the Honduran tank due to BGA, our hondurans have decided to lay. It is truly amazing, and kind of scary, being able to manipulate an animals instincts with something as common as electricity. Best of luck to everyone this winter!
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Well I removed 2 females who had dropped their fry today. I've got one left. I think I've got about 6 other females holding right now, so I may have to isolate some more. I guess it's no more of a problem to raise a bunch as to raise just a few. I also put my Tilapia bythobates into a large spawning tank today. Hopefully, they'll feel a little more ready in a bigger tank that's warmer. It's amazing what happens when you spend a little time with your fish. It's a good end to the year anyway. Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

Oddly for me I don't have any breeding projects going on. Some plecos are spawning here and there but not collecting fry right now. Not sure if it is a funk or a transition to keeping more than breeding. Guess time will tell. I am most interested in getting some big healthy wild green sailfn mollies and maybe some kind of SA/CA cichlid that I have not spawned or kept yet but that is getting harder to do all the time as I have kept and bred a lot of them. My clownfish are spawning and I just can't get excited about trying to move them or pull the eggs. Maybe I will get jazzed and give that a go one of these days. One of the great things about this hobby is that there are a lot of fish in the sea, river and lake so there is surely something out there for me to go after. Jack