Rain water collection

Outdoor fishkeeping!
dennysfishroom

Rain water collection

Post by dennysfishroom »

I had been planning all summer to set up a rain water collection system for my ponds. I'm still looking for a couple pallets to raise my IBC tote higher, but yesterday I finally got around to installing the piping to divert rain water directly into my pond and waterfall from one of the downspouts. We haven't had any rain out here for probably 6 weeks, so the timing was good. We got showers this morning, and the water is just pouring into the waterfall. Everything is working well so far. I think we're supposed to get heavier rain this evening, so that will be the real test. At least I don't have to add water using the hose today. Now if I can just locate some pallets, I can start working on the rain water storage system. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
fishbit

Re: Rain water collection

Post by fishbit »

I have pallets if you want to come get a couple.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Are they they good solid 40x48 grocery pallets? They are going to have to hold a lot of weight. I may try to call you tomorrow. Are you going to be home? Denny
fishbit

Post by fishbit »

I have several different sizes. I am sure I have some that will work for you.I am going to deliver some fish, bot should beback around 2.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Interesting. You sent me a reply on the 3rd, and it just arrived today (the 7th). Don't know what's up with that. You going to be around Wednesday or Friday? Or could you bring them to the meeting? Denny
fishbit

Post by fishbit »

I will be around wed. & fri., but call first to make sure. I will be working during meeting again unless something changes.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I just got the rain tote installed last weekend. It finally started to rain yesterday, and I'll have to say that the tote appears to be about 80% full by noon today. I should probably go and pull a sample to test for contaminates using daphnia. They are supposed to be pretty sensitive to any type of contaminates. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

The tote was completely filled by this morning. I also removed a couple buckets of water yesterday, and put daphnia in it. The daphnia are still actively swimming around this evening. I'm pretty sure that means there are no toxins in the collected water, and I'll probably try to use the collected water in my water changes. It will be interesting to see if the fish notice a difference. Denny