Hey everyone, I'm Heather :)

Tell us about yourself! Find tips on using our forum.
heatherbee

Hey everyone, I'm Heather :)

Post by heatherbee »

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been popping in every few days to check any new things and look back into the old. I had my first fish at age 7, a beautiful crowntail betta that was a "butterfly" with royal blue and deep red. He lived in a bowl on our kitchen island happily making bubble nests for a few months before I wished for a "real" aquarium for him for Christmas. Well I got my wish and he lived a happy long life in his 15 gallon flatback tank for 3 years :) I kept that small tank going with other community fish until I had my first job and was able to save for my first purchase... a 55 gallon tank and stand from walmart full of plastic plants and other goodies from a fish magazine vendor that had good prices (everything local was much higher). I was very proud of it...especially of my glass catfish and my common pleco that grew to 18". I saved next for my veiled chameleon that I built the cage for so I could afford it!

I'm not sure when I decided to go to college for zoology with plans to be an aquarist. I think it was the first time I saw the PBS documentary "Into the Abyss" that showed me the deep ocean bioluminescent creatures for the first time. I just could not believe that such things really existed! Anyways, I got thru my first 2 years as a biology major at UA intending to continue at OU. Then I met my now husband and my life plans changed from not ever wanting to have children all the way to baby fever! So, the last 10 years have been dedicated to being a stay at home mom. My youngest is starting kindergarten this year and have no plans to have more so I'm getting back to the things I love and have put on hold over the years.

We have a collection of small animals including American toads, a corn snake, 2 box turtles (eggs due to hatch any day), a gerbil and our newest is a hatchling northern map turtle (had it handed to us from someone who went floating & thought we'd like him). Anyways, I'm currently working on getting his tank made from all live plants and natural materials. He doesn't eat the plants luckily but I need to round up more to get it done (maybe someone can help me out with some when they prune/trim?)

Well that's it for my introductory novel!
dennysfishroom

Re: Hey everyone, I'm Heather :)

Post by dennysfishroom »

Welcome. I hope you're close enough that you can attend some of our meetings. This coming Saturday we'll be having Jack Dannels from the KC area give us a talk on water turtles (unless I have to sub for him - he's expecting a grandbaby). We love to have visitors and enjoy talking to new people at out meetings. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
heatherbee

Post by heatherbee »

Yes I'm in Rogers and I do hope to make it, but we do have a lot going on with school starting the 17th. I'm actually car-less at the moment because I had a new teenage driver pull out in front of me and my van ended up being totalled. Took them over a month to get all of that figured and finally got the check yesterday so have been car shopping. Husband and I own a small business and he has his truck so have been able to do what we need, but not much of the wants. The kids and I have been in the pool nearly everyday the past month :) tough times, right?
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Welcome to the forum. We hope to see you at a meeting! You can find all meeting information (dates, time, location, program topics, etc.) here:
https://nwaas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=38
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
GrakFu

Post by GrakFu »

My wife and I bring our 5 yo to every meeting. He's been attending for 2 years. So if you need to bring the kiddos we can handle it:) Our resident aqua Gardener often has a few plants for sale at our auctions after the meetings. Welcome to the forum, and hopefully, the club!
heatherbee

Post by heatherbee »

Thanks! That is good to know about the kids. Unfortunately I wasn't able to come as we traveled down to Ft Smith to check out a car we thought was the one...of course it wasn't :/ Good news is we finally found the right deal and came home with it last night :)