Anti-fungus for eggs

Diagnosis and treatment
dennysfishroom

Anti-fungus for eggs

Post by dennysfishroom »

I normally haven't been using any type of anti-fungal for hatching fish eggs, but with the types of fish I'm now spawning, I think it may be helpful. What are people using now? What I've got is so old, I really should get something fresh. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: Anti-fungus for eggs

Post by mewickham »

I haven't intentionally bred anything for a long time, but I had previously used methylene blue for guarding eggs against fungus. I believe I have also used Maracyn Oxy successfully, but it's been so long, I'm not positive. It doesn't color the water, which is nice. You might also look into the new herbal remedies that contain tea tree oil (Melaleuca) or pimenta extract. I may have previously read that they havce antifungal properties, but have never used them.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Actually, I think the fungus is a secondary infection after bacteria have already attacked the eggs. It's been awhile since I was worried about that, so that may not be absolutely correct. Methylene blue is pretty much old school. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

I have been using Peroxide at a 10 drop per gallon rate repeated every 12 to 24 hours with some success.