2010 SMP Interest?

A program to raise and maintain threatened species to help prevent their extinction.
sumpnfishy

Re: 2010 SMP Interest?

Post by sumpnfishy »

If you are referring to the strained were using for the smp then those were Los Berros. I currently only have males of those. I have a good group of Los Pinos though.
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

I will have a female for you at Aquapolooza or even better, you can have whats left of my colony!
'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Cool, thanks.
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

Not a problem;

I have two locations for them and cave mollies so I am good.
'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA
mistymists

Post by mistymists »

Hmm maybe try the Arkansas darter or Least darter. Those are both local species of concern. It's what the Sams club reserve thing is intended to protect.
One day I will have at least one tank in every room in my house. Three down so many more to go!
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Both would be fairly difficult for the average hobbyist to breed. Also, the Arkansas Darter is a candidate for listing as a Federally Endangered Species so it will likely become illegal to keep them in the near future.
Michael
Chard56

Post by Chard56 »

I just saw this thread and would like to participate. I was also wondering if the ringed salamander would qualify? I was out picking up boards and rocks looking for earthworms to feed my pair of Oscars and found this, I assume; female. Image
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Man, at first glance, I thought that was a big ol' coolie loach! Beautiful animal!
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
GrakFu

Post by GrakFu »

I am not actually a fish keep but... We are hoping to have a 65 cold water tank going in the next month or two. As well as completely freeing up a 35. I love researching so this may very well be something I am interested in.
Anyway, I was unaware there was a program such as this, and much less that our club offered it. I would assume that we have had a pretty good influx of new member who are also unaware of this. Perhaps we can talk briefly about it at tonights meeting? I know we seem to have gained an abundance of young member foaming at the mouth to spen money on their new found hobby. Would be a great time to get them focused on producing healthy, genetically pure fish that are endangered... Sound like all great lessons for young people, and us adults.
GrakFu

Post by GrakFu »

I still have not received anything back from cares. I will reach out again tonight. Anyway, April and I will be out on Vacation for the next meeting. While waiting for the next meeting I will try and get in contact with someone who runs the SMP for another club. I will also see what I can find in other forums to try and educate myself more on the matter. Fingers crossed maybe for our June meeting I will have something worth discussing.
BrookeAhart

Post by BrookeAhart »

Interested and can donate fish to the project.
JimPurdy

Post by JimPurdy »

Brooke, you have X. tequila ?
I would be interested in some if you do.