Time to reboot?

Breed fish to earn points, awards, adulation, and great respect from other fishkeepers!
sumpnfishy

Time to reboot?

Post by sumpnfishy »

So, its been a long time since we had much BAP activity. I know there is breeding going on. Anyone willing to take the reins on this?
Jackielee

Re: Time to reboot?

Post by Jackielee »

I have backed way off on breeding due to moving and to the fact I was too good at raising fry and could not get rid of them once they were grown. I have talked to some other guys here in KC with similar issues. Selling on line is a way out but such a pain so now I breed fewer fish and keep fewer fry so that it is not such an issue. Most of what I raise is CA/SA cichlids and local store just have no interest in buying from local breeders anymore here.
Annabellam

Post by Annabellam »

Jackielee wrote:I have backed way off on breeding due to moving and to the fact I was too good at raising fry and could not get rid of them once they were grown. I have talked to some other guys here in KC with similar issues. Selling on line is a way out but such a pain so now I breed fewer fish and keep fewer fry so that it is not such an issue. Most of what I raise is CA/SA cichlids and local store just have no interest in buying from local breeders anymore here.
Same story my side, local breeders are suffering. What i don't get is, if the local stores aren't buying from local breeders where are they buying?
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Well for me, I seem to have no problem in selling my youngsters. I think it all depends on what you're breeding. I asked about pearl gourami to WUW and they said they'd take a dozen. Well out of a hundred or more, that's a drop in the bucket. Not worth raising so I gave most away and haven't spawned them again.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
JoanneDisFan

Post by JoanneDisFan »

I would like to try my hand at breeding, but can't decide what to breed. I've done guppies before. Thought about moving my gold gourami's and seeing if they would breed. I have a 20G I could set up for this. I would just need to get a sponge filter and air pump. I've also had no luck with breeding my RCS I bought at the Christmas party. Maybe I ended up with all male or all female. I only have 4 and not sure how to sex them.
Joanne Johnson