Do Not Post A.I.-Generated Content

Tell us about yourself! Find tips on using our forum.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Do Not Post A.I.-Generated Content

Post by mewickham »

DO NOT POST A.I.-GENERATED CONTENT ON OUR FORUM

You really should not post it anywhere. A.I. content (artificial intelligence) is riddled with errors. Once posted, those errors circulate and compound the misinformation that permeates the Web. Our goal is to circulate only accurate information.

In a recent 60 Minutes story (April 2023), Google's own chief admitted that "A.I. lies" and they do not even know why. A.I. generates articles that SEEM accurate, but are not. For example, when 60 Minutes asked Google's Bard (it's like ChatGPT) to create an article on economics, it created what seemed like a good article, citing books by famous economists, such as Milton Friedman. Unfortunately, the books were not real. The economists were real people, but they wrote no such book or article. A.I. completely made it up.

As example, someone recently posted, on our Facebook group, an A.I.-generated article on plant-keeping, which, among other things, recommended 24/7 lighting. 24/7 lighting is bad for plants and worse for fish. Plants actually go into a resting phase after a certain number of hours and stop photosynthesizing. Further light is a waste of energy and a potential cause of algal growth. And fish don't have eyelids. Imagine trying to rest when it never gets dark. Plus, reproduction cycles of many organisms are based on light cycles.

So, PLEASE, do not post A.I.-generated material on our site, or anywhere. If you do, you may be banned. We are making this a permanent part of the rules.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair