Page 1 of 1

Critter of the Week

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:38 pm
by mewickham
I hope y'all don't mind that I put up a Critter of the Week instead of a Fish of the Week on this week's portal page. I've been having fun with my new pet. I was surprised at how fast it has come to recognize me as the provider of manna from heaven.

Re: Critter of the Week

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:13 pm
by aulonocaraaddict
Great photos! I think its adorable. Be neat to watch him grow into an adult.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:55 am
by mewickham
When it happens, the transformation from waterdog to tiger salamander happens very fast. If I recall correctly, it only takes about three days. I had bought this critter for the sole purpose of taking its photo, then donating it for club auction. But now that I've got it, I find myself enjoying the interaction. The little guy (gal?) becomes very active when I come nearby. It's like it's begging for food. So I'll probably hang onto it until it transforms to salamander, then donate it. I don't want to set up a terrarium.

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:48 pm
by mewickham
The changeover is happening. In the last couple of days, the gills have been about half absorbed and the tail flukes are nearly gone altogether. It looks like I'll be the proud owner of a tiger salamander within days.

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:30 am
by Jackielee
Neat to hear about something new and not a fish. I just got a paddletail newt and I am enjoy him also. What's one more thing to takde care of in a fishroom? :P

Jack

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:04 am
by etheonut
On a slightly unrelated note, if you do a google search for "tiger salamander arkansas" the fifth result is nwaas.com. Keep up the good work Mike. ;)

Kevin

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:26 am
by aulonocaraaddict
That's awesome! You will have to put up a pic after the transformation is complete :)

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:41 am
by mewickham
Unfortunately, it's pointing at the Critter of the Week link, which just got changed out to the new Fish of the Week. Soon, however, I'm planning to develop a page that archives the various fishes/critters of the week. That should give us a back a permanent link.

I'll post a photo of the salamander after changeover, too.

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:54 am
by etheonut
It brings people to the homepage, that is the goal. Are they going to find a surplus of tiger salamander info here, no, but who knows what fishes they may keep.

Kevin

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:33 pm
by mewickham
And here's a photo of my waterdog all grown up into a tiger salamander. Click the image for a larger view:

Here's a photo of him still in larval "waterdog" form: