Page 1 of 1

HAIR ALGAE OUTBREAK!!!!

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:58 pm
by FishHook
In the last 2 weeks or so i have had a huge hair algae out break in my 1200 gal pond. I cannot see the any thing in the pond until i feed and then the Koi and Turtles pop out. I have nothing to eat algae but have 6 water lillies that cover about 35-45% of the pond surface help me please!!!!

Re: HAIR ALGAE OUTBREAK!!!!

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:18 pm
by sskruzr
How about a bale of barley? I think I've seen these for sale for controling algae in ponds.

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:21 pm
by Jackielee
Believe it or not, i have had great success in using Algaefix in my outdoor ponds for hair algae. i had great doubts when I tried it but it worked on mine.

jack

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:38 pm
by dennysfishroom
I'm trying to feed it to my nightcrawlers. The turtles won't take it, but hopefully the worms will. If so, they should be really fat by this fall. Denny

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:55 pm
by sskruzr
A u.v. sterilizer would also help after the filter.

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:49 pm
by FishHook
i have two UVs already!!!

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:54 pm
by sskruzr
get em going!

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:46 pm
by FishHook
they have been going

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:33 pm
by dennysfishroom
Several weeks ago I brought in some unexpected American Flagfish from one of my ponds. I happened to put them in a tank with lots of hair algae. I just noticed today that most of the hair algae is gone. I guess what they say about these fish is true. Noe if we just could get them to eat Duckweed. I'd put ducks in my fishroom, but I suspect that might get pretty messy. Denny