Page 1 of 1

African butterfly cichlids

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:46 pm
by kribkid17
Well did i get a surprise when i went into my bedroom tonight, my abc's were spawning. The female was depositing eggs when i went in. they were right ontop of a anubis leaf. The female is so small im surprised she could hold so many eggs. She isnt done laying but I'd guess there to be about 10 eggs so far. I hope they dont eat them.

Re: African butterfly cichlids

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:37 pm
by pinkrblu
Congrats! Keep us informed. And PICTURES! I want pictures.

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:28 am
by kribkid17
When they were done I'd of guessed there to be 120 eggs but now there looks to be about 90 eggs left and they look fertilized. I didn't get any pictures of they because everytime i would go up to the tank they would hide someplace then the other fish would try to eat the eggs. They are very good parents so far. Its funny to watch them defend against my syno catfish that is 3 times the size of the female.

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:15 pm
by kribkid17
When I went back into my room to check the eggs there were no eggs left and 2 parents with full stomachs. Oh well theres always next time.

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:51 pm
by pinkrblu
As you surely know, it sometimes takes several tries before you get a successful spawn. Give them a rest, put them in their own tank if possible, do a couple good water changes and throw some special food at them. Good luck!

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:04 pm
by sskruzr
Know what species they are? I'm not familar with an African butterfly cichlid. Where'd you get them?

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:39 am
by kribkid17
they are Anomalochromis thomasi. I got them from Otto at the spring auction.

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:46 pm
by kribkid17
Well I think they might be at it again, the females egg tube is visable and they are "dancing" around their anubius plant that the breed on.

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:21 am
by kribkid17
Well they ate the eggs... Again. So how many is a couple Kenna? Lol let's hope they got it down this time.

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:14 am
by Jackielee
There is an old saying in the forum game, " This thread is useless without photos!." ;) :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:29 am
by kribkid17
Lucky for you I took some pictures of the eggs

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:47 pm
by kinglucky
Jackielee wrote:There is an old saying in the forum game, " This thread is useless without photos!." ;) :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
That is just because you have 12 cameras......

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:25 pm
by Jackielee
Smile! Click! :lol:

Everyone love my photos even if they don't say so. :mrgreen:

Jack

Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:07 pm
by kribkid17
Wow these guys are presistant, they spawned again tonight. There doesn't seem to be as many eggs as last time but I haven't been feeding them as well as I should be and I have been skipping out on bloodworms. These guys are almost easier than convicts, except it doesn't take convicts that many tries.
Btw: it has only been six days since they spawned last.

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:10 pm
by kribkid17
heres a picture of the eggs:

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:23 pm
by kribkid17
heres a couple of the parents:
heres some better ones that shows the eggs and the female

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:31 pm
by kribkid17
Well 3 days ago my pair spawned for the first time so I guess I can sell them at the auction as a proven pair. I went in today and my other pair had eggs on the anubius leaf. I hope they don't eat them.

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:18 am
by Jackielee
Very cool. That is a species I have not spawned or kept but wnat to some day. Thanks for sharing the photos too.

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:18 am
by kribkid17
If you came to the auction then I could sell you a pair. :D Btw it's really weird, I was doing weekly waterchNges and they hadn't spawned for 4 weeks it seemed like but then I forgot to do a waterchange last week and here they are, in their not perfect water, breeding. They are odd ones.

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:33 pm
by snakeskinner
It's funny you say that because I have a lot of fish that spawn when I get busy and can't do waterchanges for awhile. I'm not sure why this triggers them but it does. Others will spawn immediately after I do a waterchange. I kept thomasi awhile back, "Proven breeders" and could never get a spawn from them. possibly because my water is very hard... Kyle

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:17 am
by kribkid17
Wow these guys breed easy, I skipped feeding, or more so forgot, for a couple days ten yesterday I dropped in some flake and they ate it up. Later that night, they are breeding.

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:29 pm
by Jackielee
Great ! It feels good to have fish that will successful spawn for you or at least that is how I feel.

Jack

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:43 pm
by snakeskinner
what are your water conditions? Kyle

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:18 am
by kribkid17
I wish these fish would spawn sucessfully, they always eat the eggs the 2nd night. I'm thinking about artifically rearing the eggs the next time they spawn so they won't eat them.
Snakeskinner: I have never tested my water :o, I do 30% weekly water changes and I haven't had a fish get sick or die for about Half a year, which is alot considering I have only been in the hobby for 1 1/2 yyears.

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:34 pm
by snakeskinner
I'd be interested to know the PH and hardness of the water if you ever get a chance. I couldn't get my "proven pair" to ever lay eggs that I knew of... KYle

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:24 pm
by etheonut
Also, some eggs simply won't fertilize if the water parameters aren't within a certain range. It could be as easy as adding a gallon or 2 of ro water when you do water changes. Also, if you can catch which fish is eating the eggs removing the culprit would help.

Kevin

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:15 am
by kribkid17
Good news for the fish, I am looking at a ro water filter on craigslist so hopefully if I get it the eggs will be able to be fertelized.