Tetra Parasite Guard safe for discus fish?

Diagnosis and treatment
mark722

Post by mark722 »

Is it safe for scaleless fish or what? IF not recommend a med that doesn't harm discus and kills internal/external parasites .
Malaysian Discus Imoprter| Pigeon Blood
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: Tetra Parasite Guard safe for discus fish?

Post by mewickham »

Which kind of "internal/external parasites" are you looking to kill? That will determine which medication to use. Also, which active ingredients are listed for the product you mention. I am not familiar with it by brand name and Tetra does not even appear to list the product on their website. (You should always hunt for, and discuss, medications based on active ingredients, not brand name-- since several different products may be the exact same thing packaged under different brands or even different ingredient names.)
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: Tetra Parasite Guard safe for discus fish?

Post by mewickham »

I did further research and found info on the product elsewhere. Active ingredients are: Praziquantel, Dflubenzuron, Metronidazole and Acriflavin.

These ingredients treat worms (such as anchor worms, skin and gill flukes, internal worms); external crustaceans, such as fish lice; and protozoans (though probably not the best protozoal treatment). Properly administered, it should be safe for discus, though the Praziquantel and Diflubenzuron are fairly harsh and discus fairly delicate. The Acriflavin may color your water.

P.S. I moved your two message threads from the "Water Gardens" (Ponds) section to the "Diseases" section, where your message will be more properly seen.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair