Random angel death

Diagnosis and treatment
Blue-Ram101

Random angel death

Post by Blue-Ram101 »

Just got home from my weekend drill not to long ago. About 30 minutes after being home one of my angels was face down on the gravel. nothing notable on the outside bright vibrant scales, the only thing that looked out of place was the stomach looked a little bloated. Any ideas what happened? None of the other fish are acting out of character, should I be worried about a possible illness? I feed the tank a combination of flakes, freeze dried blood worms and frozen blood worms and mosquito larvae. Just seemed so random for a perfectly healthy looking fish...
If you have to think about it... You probably just spent to much on something for your fish tank!!
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Re: Random angel death

Post by sskruzr »

Any other angels in the tank?
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
Blue-Ram101

Post by Blue-Ram101 »

Yes there are 4 others, possible bullying/stress?
If you have to think about it... You probably just spent to much on something for your fish tank!!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

It's always a good idea to start with water tests-- pH, ammonia, and possibly nitrite. The water can look clear but be really messed up chemically.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
Blue-Ram101

Post by Blue-Ram101 »

I have the seachem ph and nitrate tester things in the tank not even a month old. or maybe its amonia tester, either way, all of those are fine. What signs could some of the other fish be showing if thats what could be doing it?
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Check the color of the poop. Should be brown. I'm currently going through a round of internal parasites with a tank of mine where the poop is white. They stop eating and then slowly starve themselves to death. I've raised the temp to 88 and am feeding with an internal parasite supplement in their food. The ones it doesn't seem to have affected are still eating vigorously. Seems to be only the little ones.

If it was stress, I would think you would see some fin damage. I had a few larger angels together and one seemed to be picking on another, but the bullied one would still eat.

I'm going to order some internal parasite and de-wormer medicated foods from angelsplus tomorrow, let me know if you want some and I'll order extra.
http://www.angelsplus.com/MedsParasite.htm
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

Dang I have a bunch of that food in the freezer wish I had known. Walmart sells a parasite clear tablet that I have used with good success. Internal and external parasites are affected and it is one tablet per 20 gallons I believe. Just an easy option. Good luck. Jack
Blue-Ram101

Post by Blue-Ram101 »

Not a problem of eating ate just as well as the others. Will have to watch the fecal discharge though just for safety sake. I did have to treat the water a few times with some algaecide I am ashamed to admit however, that was about 3 days ago and a water change. All the others are vibrant and healthy... Sigh.....who knows :\