Collecting Local Rock

DIY Projects or post where to find them
spitz006

Collecting Local Rock

Post by spitz006 »

Are there rocks around here that are safe? I know I found some right outside of my house and it raised my pH but I was thinking of going down to devils den and grabbing a couple rocks. I have a planted tank so I'll need the ph and harness low.
fishbit

Re: Collecting Local Rock

Post by fishbit »

I have a 55 full of limestone,& flintrock from around here that works great with my Africans.Devils Den area has what we call Native Stone that has alot of sandstone it.I have never tried it in an aquarium
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Most of the rock in the NW Arkansas and Southwest Missouri areas is going to be limestone based. If you go far enough east or south you will start to run into some ancient granite that shouldn't change your hardness or pH. I would recommend visiting a landscaping shop and asking about granite pieces, they usually have an assortment of pebbles and cobble.

Kevin
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I wouldn't recommend collecting rock at Devil's Den State Park. Removing items from parks is illegal and could get you in trouble.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

A lot of local creeks have some great rocks you can use. Some are nice river rock and others have limestone on the banks thar work great.