Egg Fungus and Black Light

Diagnosis and treatment
Sundance

Egg Fungus and Black Light

Post by Sundance »

Okay, put your Egon Spengler glasses on for this one.

I checked on the Cory eggs (oh yeah, I've got some Corydoras eggs! Catch up on it in my fish blog if you want) when I got home from work, and found two had fungus. I carefully removed them with the turkey baster in my "tackle box". Fast-forward to when the regular florescent light timer goes off and the black light comes on. I'm checking out the GloFish and I look to see if the eggs will "glow" as well. They don't. Well, all of of them except one.

Could this be an egg that just started to grow fungi? I turned the regular light back on to check. I couldn't tell which egg it was anymore. I broke out the turkey baster, went back to black light, and carefully removed the only glowing egg.

I took it over to my desk lamp and magnifying glass. Under magnification it showed several bands or streaks of white growth that was not present on the remaining eggs. Using a tripod and the 4 second exposure setting, I attempted to photo the "glowing" egg. It's not a clear photo, yet try and notice the glowing spot on the rock in the middle of the flashing circle. In real life it seemed to glow like a child's glow n' the dark toy.

What do ya'll think?

S u n d a n c e
"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." Emerson
Douglas

Re: Egg Fungus and Black Light

Post by Douglas »

Fungus gnats, shore flies, moth flies, and March flies occur around damp, decaying vegetation, algae, and fungi. These flies can appear in large numbers in or around buildings, prompting complaints, and also can be a problem in greenhouses, nurseries, and interior plantscapes.

Fungus gnats infest soil and container media, where larvae feed on organic matter and roots. Shore flies live in or on algal scum or very wet, decomposing organic matter and are common in greenhouses and outdoor areas where conditions are damp. Moth flies commonly occur in bathrooms or kitchens, where larvae feed on muck in shower and sink drains. March flies live outdoors and are a nuisance when large numbers are attracted to lights.

DAMAGE
Adult fungus gnats, shore flies, moth flies, and March flies primarily are a nuisance. March flies, for example, are so named because adults of some species appear in large numbers during spring and fly to windows or porch lights. Adults may swarm along roads, annoying motorists by fouling windshields. Although March flies can enter buildings, they do not reproduce or develop in buildings. Fungus gnats and moth flies, however, can both enter buildings as flying adults and develop indoors through all life stages. Shore flies are unlikely to reproduce indoors, except in greenhouses. Fungus gnats, shore flies, moth flies, and March flies do not bite people or animals and, in the United States, are not known to carry human pathogens.

Only fungus gnats commonly damage plants. Larvae of these flies feed on roots, thus stunting plant growth. Root damage can occur in interior plantscapes and in houseplants if high populations infest moist, organic-rich soil. Fungus gnat larval damage can be especially serious in greenhouses, nurseries, and sod farms. In addition to larvae chewing on roots, both larvae and adults can spread plant pathogens and may promote disease in commercial crops.

Abundant numbers of adult shore flies can leave unsightly frass spots (fecal droppings) on foliage. Root feeding by larvae is relatively uncommon. Shore flies may spread soil-dwelling pathogens, but this is uncertain and may be of little importance. Shore flies are frequently confused with fungus gnats, and they often occur together. Fungus gnats are usually more important pests, because they damage plant roots.

Moth fly larvae sometimes chew plant roots in greenhouses, but this is relatively uncommon. Moth flies in buildings feed primarily inside drain pipes but are not damaging to plumbing.

Although larvae of these species may feed on plant roots outdoors, none causes serious damage outside the home. Any root feeding by these species in gardens or landscapes is usually minor in comparison with their beneficial role as decomposers in helping to convert dead vegetation into nutrients for plant growth.
dennysfishroom

Re: Egg Fungus and Black Light

Post by dennysfishroom »

My experience with cories has been that a relatively large percentage of eggs fungus under the best of conditions. They also seem to be very sensitive to light. For whatever it's worth. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!