Cardinals are breeding

Fish from Arkansas and the USA
etheonut

Cardinals are breeding

Post by etheonut »

I will be out in the creeks this weekend: Thurs Night, Friday, Sunday and Monday. If you want to come see the most beautiful fish in the world then you might want to open up your schedule and come see the cardinal shiners in their breeding dress.

Kevin
kcmouser(at)leru.net
Jackielee

Re: Cardinals are breeding

Post by Jackielee »

Collect some for me if they are legal.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

They are legal to collect. I can't transport them across state lines.

Kevin
fishbit

Post by fishbit »

The Darters are collored beautiful right now.We got some real nice Orangethroats the other day.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Darters are nice, particularly if you can find some of the ones that aren't as common like the Arkansas Darter, Redline or the speckled when they are colored up. Cardinal shiners in full breeding dress make darters look like little grey lumps by comparison. That and the fact they only come into their breeding colors for a very small window of time every spring.

I saw them in color on Tuesday in one creek locally. Hopefully they will still be in color today. There is no guarantee.

Kevin
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Man, I'd like to see those cardinal shiners. I don't think I can make it this weekend, though. I'll let you know if that changes. Just in case, what times on Sunday or Monday would you be looking to go?

Kevin, have you been able to take any pictures of them? I've been trying to think of a way to do it myself. Michael says they probably move too fast to get an underwater shot. I know that putting them in a photo tank doesn' t work because the water is so cold that it immediately steams the glass. I bought some anti-fog wipes for lenses that I'm hoping might fix that. I also thought that maybe the solution will be to put the fish in a photo tank, submerge it in the creek most of the way, and then shoot with the underwater camera. What do you think?
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I will let you know. I have my underwater camera with me.

I will be available any time on Sunday and most of the day on Monday. I would pretty much have to know Saturday though as I won't be at my computer on either of those days if I can help it.

Kevin
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

My underwater camera worked just fine. I even grabbed some video.

Kevin
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

PIcs?
'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Yes there are. I took about 100 pics. I like about 5 of them.

I posted one on my facebook page.
I posted all 5 on my deviantart account.
If you go to deviantart.com and search for pitsofscales, you will find my pictures. Most of the cardinal pictures are on the second page of what you will find there.

Kevin
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Nice shots and gorgeous fish!
Mike Wickham
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I went back to the 60 degree water today with a little knowledge under my belt.
I only took about 40 pictures and I kept 8 this time. I put one on facebook and all of them on deviant art.

I have some video too. I might put it on Youtube. I tried putting it on facebook, but I am not happy with that process.

Kevin
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Ok, I put all three underwater videos up on youtube. You can find them by going to youtube and searching for Kevin Mouser. That will lead to "my" channel.

Enjoy,

Kevin

ps. We need to invite William Roston to come speak to the club. I would make the 2 hour round trip for that.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Love the videos! I'm still trying to figure out if I can sneak away to join you on Sunday or Monday.
Mike Wickham
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

awesome videos. I'm glad you're taking them so I don't have to climb in that cold water :)
Okarche, OK