Catching Rainwater

DIY Projects or post where to find them
corissakay

Catching Rainwater

Post by corissakay »

So I've been thinking about catching rainwater for fish that require softer, cleaner water. Does anybody have any tips on the best way to go about doing this or is it even a good idea?.. I'm not sure how new the roof is but I will find out soon.
sumpnfishy

Re: Catching Rainwater

Post by sumpnfishy »

The roof was going to be my first question. They sell pretty good kits for adapting your rain spouts if your roof is old but it Canberra difficult if you have to find another waynesides the roof.
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Uhh... Canberra?
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

waynesides? I think maybe Michael has been selling a few too many tacos these days.

I don't have any gutters, but I have placed a large tub up next to the house. I have about 200 gallons of water stored up so far.

Kevin
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

I live on main street, directly next to the car dealership where I work so I can only imagine the pollutants on my roof. That being said, I've never tried. Even in a residential area, I've always wondered what sort of chemicals might be on a roof. I had tossed around the idea of building a metal frame with a tarp and create a sort of catch and funnel system into a barrel. anyone tried something like that before? Kyle
Okarche, OK
ApistoGrandma

Post by ApistoGrandma »

i have buckets that i lay out in the bed of my pickup when the rains start. it doesn't collect much but it was enough to trick my sevrums into spawning
tekwyatt

Post by tekwyatt »

I am using rainwater for the last 8 months for most of my tanks. I have a DIY rain seperator off of my metal roof. Works great, I am filling two 55 G barrels. I will be at the meeting Saterday for more details. I have never had a problem with this system yet.
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

So I didn't catch on to the fact that the auto correct on the kindle was doing crazy things again I guess.