Sand for substrate

DIY Projects or post where to find them
bargri

Sand for substrate

Post by bargri »

I have a 200 gal tank . It's a South American Cichlid tank with a Tiger Oscar , Convicts & common Pleco. I want to replace the gravel that is currently in it with sand . (want to have a more "natural" tank) Where is the best place in NWA to get sand for this? I've been told that I don't want to use regular play sand or all purpose sand as they are too fine & could cause problems with my filter. Oscars do tend to "fan" the substrate a lot. Also, for this size tank, how many pounds of sand would I need to have a layer of aprox 1" ?
sumpnfishy

Re: Sand for substrate

Post by sumpnfishy »

Particle size really isn't an issue. However, play sand takes forever to clean. Pool filter sand is much cleaner and more consistent. You can get it at spa and pool places. I would think that around 200 ponds would do it but that depends more on the bottom area than the volume.
As an aside, your convicts are actually from Central America and prefer hard water. Your Oscar and pleco come from softer water but tap is fine for any of them.
Michael
bargri

Post by bargri »

Thanks for the info on the sand. I think I will run into Siloam Springs tomorrow & check the pool place there. I've got some pretty cool driftwood ready, and some rocks that are ready to be turned into some caves. For now, I'll stick with the plastic plants because I know how much Oscars like to rearrange things in the tank.
This is a new set of fish...I lost my Convicts & Firemouths when we had the big ice storm a few years ago. My Pleco died of old age? (about 14 years old) about a year or so ago, and My Oscar that I'd had for over 10 years died about a month ago.

I really wanted to set up the tank with the natural look after my O died (before I got a new one) but a friend of my husbands gave me these fish a few weeks ago.....because "they are dirty".
My tap water comes from a well and is about mid-range. I've been able to keep Oscars, Convicts, Plecos, Firemouths & Corys in a tank together without
any problems (as far as water, that is.... Oscar wanting to eat the Convict is another story :o )
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

I've never kept them before but from what I hear about Oscars, I'd be afraid of him kicking up the sand and getting it into the filter, regardless how heavy it is. I would look for a finer grain gravel. I use a lot of "Pool Filter Media" which is a tiny gravel that looks a lot like supersize sand. Kyle
Okarche, OK
stpierce

Post by stpierce »

From my experiences, i agree with the 200 lbs of pool filter sand as the best local source, just be sure to wash it, then wash it again. It will save you a mountain of headaches and filter cleanings down the road, especially if your fish will be diggers.
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

I use pool filter sand;

Always avoid play sand, it takes forever to clean!
'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA
TerriM

Post by TerriM »

Herpchat wrote:I use pool filter sand;

Always avoid play sand, it takes forever to clean!
Yes, for sure. I got play sand once, key word ONCE. Thought I would never get that stuff clean. Not to mention all the odd stuff you might find it it. Save yourself the misery. :)
Tea Pot

Post by Tea Pot »

Is there a reason not to just go to the creek and dig some sand up? That's what I'm going to do and use rocks from there also. Lot of nice looking rocks we got on the Buffalo
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

A lot of the rocks around here are limestone, which may alter pH too much for the particular species being kept.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair