weird guppy shape

Egglayers keep out!
mistymists

weird guppy shape

Post by mistymists »

So I gave my Guppies to my mother-in-law. The Guppies have continued to breed and produce strange lookinging Guppies. They are extra long and narrow. It's like their body tappers to the tail but then humps upward then tappers to a tail. They're awkwardly pretty, but seem to have trouble swimming but appear to be thriving nonetheless. Is this due to inbreeding or is it some ressive gene
One day I will have at least one tank in every room in my house. Three down so many more to go!
Chard56

Re: weird guppy shape

Post by Chard56 »

Letting them just continue to breed without separating the sexes and selectively breeding and outcrossing just makes for deformed inbred offspring. Crooked spines and regressed finnage to the point of them being not much more than deformed wild guppies is what you'll end up with.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

A picture would be nice, to be sure that we're understanding the description. Bent spines are usually genetic, but poor diet could do it (like rickets).

Are you saying that fins are normal shape, but the spine is bent? Or are we talking about deformed fins, too.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
mistymists

Post by mistymists »

The fins look normal just the body shape is off. It's not just a bent spine, their bodies are thin and the have small flat heads. I tried to take a photo but my camera won't catch them. They're actually pretty fast swimmers for all the trouble they seem to have.
One day I will have at least one tank in every room in my house. Three down so many more to go!