Weight on top of Aquarium

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
GrakFu

Weight on top of Aquarium

Post by GrakFu »

Going on vacation Thursday. I tried, and failed, twice today in an attempt to have tanks drilled. So not shattering a third. So my question is, can my 55 support the weight of my sump on TOP. My sump will hold 5 gallons of water and roughly 8 lbs of lava rock. The rest of the assembly is plastic. No more then 5lbs. So roughly 60lbs. My current set up is not "sitter" friendly and will lead to a disaster One way or another. If I need to build a temporary stand I can. Just short on time.
To clarify; I am hoping to hold 60lbs of sump on top of my aquarium with nothing but a sheet of playwood to even the weight on the glass.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: Weight on top of Aquarium

Post by mewickham »

In my dealer days, we stacked empty aquariums on top of each other and high enough that I think they would be of equivalent weight or more. So I would think that it would be okay. Of course, I make no guarantees.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
GrakFu

Post by GrakFu »

I want to have faith. I honestly don't see an aquarium explosion being anymore catastrophic then the other proposed outcomes.
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

I have placed sumps on top of several aquariums and as long as the weight was evenly distributed they have all done fine. Every instance is different but I have never crashed anything ... YET!!! I put support under the sump that went front to back and to a side if possible but I cannot say it will work for you it just worked for me. Good luck and let us know what you did.
GrakFu

Post by GrakFu »

1/2 plywood survived the vacation. Now I just have to motivate myself to build a new stand that will allow me to forever keep my sump above the tank. Seems the turtles have taken a liking to the flow. May end up on a mission to add the 35 below and run a double sump...