Page 1 of 1

Outdoor Turtle Tank

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:36 am
by dennysfishroom
As many of you know, I've had my turtles outside during the summer for the past few years. I've been trying to figure out how i can make an area for them where they could lay eggs if they're so inclined, but without success. This year I decided to have an enclosure attached to the stock tank where they can lay eggs. My plan was to cut a rectangular hole in the side of the stock tank just above the high water mark. I'd have a platform on the stock tank side so they could get out of the water, and a sandy area on the other side of the wall for egg laying. I finally cut the hole yesterday. Then I thought maybe I should test it out just to make sure my female turtles would fit through the opening. It's a good thing I did. I had to increase the opening by about an inch so they would fit. Next week I'll actually start making the platforms. Denny

Re: Outdoor Turtle Tank

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:36 pm
by dennysfishroom
I may have to accelerate my revisions on the outdoor turtle tank. I was looking in the tank in the garage today, and I think I saw some turtle eggs that had been laid in the sand/peat moss tubs. It looks like none are viable right now, but it definitely would be progress for them to have laid eggs. There were probably around 6 in the sand. Denny

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:00 pm
by Jackielee
that is very exciting news to me! Hope you can hatch some! Jack

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:09 pm
by dennysfishroom
They would all be normal colored, but all carrying the albino gene. At least I know that they can/will lay eggs now. Is this the 3rd year since I got the males from you Jack? The 2 normal females haven't been with any other male for at least that long. Probably another 2-3 year before my albino female is old enough to lay eggs. Hopefully, I'll have had at least a little experience raising baby turtles by then. I'll have to start looking into what I should be doing to incubate the eggs before I actually need to start doing it. Anyone have any experience with that that you'd care to share? Denny

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:23 pm
by Jackielee
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm

This guy is usually a good resource of reptile and amphibians.