African cichlid breeding

From angelfish to zebra cichlids
Bauxitehog

African cichlid breeding

Post by Bauxitehog »

Is african cichlid breeding particularly the peacock variety a lost concern for Arkansas? several of my local lfs quality and available variety seem down. I Am thinking of having to breed myself but that seems a long process and many tanks to build a show tank of male peacocks. Comments please! #oldschool #bummedincentralAR
dennysfishroom

Re: African cichlid breeding

Post by dennysfishroom »

I do raise the East African Peacocks. I'll be taking some colored up males to the auction this Saturday. Hope that helps. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
Bauxitehog

Post by Bauxitehog »

Thanks Denny, I was considering coming up for that. What species are you bringing?
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Good question. EB Ahli for sure. I'm not sure what else is ready, but I've got some regular and albino Rubescens reds, and probably some OB Ahli as possibilities.
Bauxitehog

Post by Bauxitehog »

Denny, I've been reading up on the auction set up. Any idea how many fish I should expect to find per bag? different amounts? 5 - 50? I'm looking for no more than 8 for the size of my tank. Thanks. David
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

With auctions it's always hard to tell. Mine are usually packed one per bag, but they are pretty much full colored adults. It's not unusual for fry to be half a dozen or more. It just depends on what people have to get rid of. Denny
Bauxitehog

Post by Bauxitehog »

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful. I don't want to come al the way up there and leave empty handed -if it helps your sales any I'm looking for 2-3 inch fish as that's what's in my tank now.
tbalan

Post by tbalan »

I will have some labidochromis mbamba and some iodothropheus sprengerae in the size that you need.