Controlling Current

Other miscellaneous aquarium-keeping topics, such as water chemistry, go here.
GrakFu

Controlling Current

Post by GrakFu »

I am looking at baggin some natives for an aquarium I would like to set up. It's just a little 10g, and I am hoping to catch a few minnows or sculpin/darters. Not looking to gather the fish today, so please no lectures on that right now:) But, they are stream fish who like high flow(and crystal clear water), so how do I achieve this?
I am a big fan of sump filtration. I have a few small mag drive pumps, also have water diverters to control direction of flow. I have a 65g hob, and I also have an undergravel filter. I am all for overkill when it comes to water filtration, but how much is too much?
My current plan is to put a 35gph pump on one side of the tank and run it with two diverters, one fixed and one oscillating. I think it makes sense to run the UG as well. I figure a nice flat rock verticle in the center of the tank to creat a calm spot. Lots of plants, and a pea gravel with some sand mix for the floor. Is a 10 easier to make high flow, or should I use a 20, or even a 55?
Hopefully this sounds like a solid plan, but as I've never had a current generating tank I would like to hear from someone who has.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: Controlling Current

Post by mewickham »

It sounds like your setup is workable. If you put a powerhead jet at one end of the tank, on top or bottom, it will create a circular flow in the tank. The water will flow away from the powerhead at, say, the top of the tank, and back toward the powerhead at the bottom. I think the issue you might run into is the size of the tank. The bottom dwellers should have no problem with the flow. They can wedge or hide behind rocks to avoid it. The minnows can, too, but also like some calm waters. There will be no calm areas in a tank that size. I'd use different sizes of rocks to provide cover.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

they don't need the current, just the oxygen created by the rapid water movement. I'd advise against sculpin, they are hard to feed. darters do good on frozen but love live foods if you can supply them. Kyle
Okarche, OK
GrakFu

Post by GrakFu »

Wandered away from the site for a while. I have a pretty good selection of flat rocks to work with. I shouldn't have an issue finding one or two that will reach through the surface of the water. I do have a pretty good selection of tanks too. I can always free up my 20long seeing as it just houses a few otos that would be happy in just about any tank.
On the sculpin, I am not sure how much they feed on the different midges in the wild, but I do know they never turn down worms. I have a constant supply of worms from composting/vermicomposting. My version of collecting sculpin would be those who are hungry enough to take my worms while fishing. If nothing else I would at least get to see the repercussions of my fishing hooks.
I am more concerned about losing the sculpin over anything else. Their spines would probably make for some unhappy turtles...