Thorichthys passiones

From angelfish to zebra cichlids
dennysfishroom

Thorichthys passiones

Post by dennysfishroom »

I ran across some T. passiones last spring, and brought 5 home. I put them into a 30 gal and let them grow over the summer. Last weekend when Jack was over, we decided they might be ready to spawn. They had been eating like crazy, and beating the snot out of each other for awhile. I put all 5 in my 135 after the weekend and yesterday it looked like one pair was guarding eggs. A close inspection showed about 4-500 eggs in a flower pot. I would expect the eggs to hatch by tomorrow, and be free swimming by the end of the weekend. Then today, I noticed another pair starting to protect another pot at the other end of the tank. These fish are probably a little more yellow than the red Firemouths, but they are a little more stocky and have broader fins. We'll see what happens this weekend. At some point I'll have to try to net the entire spawn out of the tank to a grow-out tank. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
dennysfishroom

Re: Thorichthys passiones

Post by dennysfishroom »

Things were working out pretty well on this spawn until this morning. Then I started to see some fungused eggs. Now I just hope I get enough viable fry to get the BAP points. Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

Great to hear! I assume you move things around after I was there?
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I did. I'm going to have to try artificial incubation next time. Lots of eggs, but I think they all fungused. What do you use when hatching eggs? Denny