October 2015: Cichlids of the Lake Victoria Basis

Program Schedule - Dates - Location - Maps and Directions
mewickham
NWAAS President

October 2015: Cichlids of the Lake Victoria Basis

Post by mewickham »

Greg's bio:
I began keeping fish at a very early age. I can remember watching sticklebacks nest in the local pond in the 1st or 2nd grade (I would stop by on my way from school and usually arrive home filthy and late much to my mother’s delight I’m sure). It was around this time I got my first aquarium and was instantly hooked on the hobby. As my age increased so did my number of aquariums. This got totally out of hand when I married Lee Ann, a fellow fish geek. With no check valve in place, we have expanded to two fish rooms with well over 100 aquariums and multiple ponds.

I started maintaining haplochromine cichlids over 20 years ago and they remain my passion to this day. Collectively, the Steeves’ have bred more that 150 species of fish, the majority being African cichlids. When I moved to Texas from Canada, I helped form the Hill Country Cichlid Club and in recent years, taken on the presidency of the Federation of Texas Aquarium Societies. I am fortunate to be invited to speak regularly at organizations across North America on Haplochromine cichlids and Texas Natives. I’ve written for many magazines around the world that have been translated into twelve different languages (I’ve been counting). I have written three books which I am very proud of. Lee Ann and I truly enjoy attending fish conventions and seeing old and new friends, the element that makes this hobby the best in the world!
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Re: October 2015: Cichlids of the Lake Victoria Basis

Post by sskruzr »

can someone take minutes Saturday? I will be outta town that weekend.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Great talk last night! We'll have to have Greg back to speak in the future. He has a native fishes talk that sounds interesting, for one.

I got a signed copy of his book, "Cichlids of Africa, Volume 1 Haplochromines" in the auction as a bonus!
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
im2smart4u

Post by im2smart4u »

I really wanted to make this one, but something came up and the last minute and I couldn't go. I like Victorian cichlids and I was thinking of setting up a tank for them again.