HOB Canister Filter

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
dennysfishroom

HOB Canister Filter

Post by dennysfishroom »

Anyone know of a good HOB canister filter? What I've been using is a MarineLand 350 modified to be a hang-on-back filter. It's worked well, but I'd like to get a few more. Unfortunately the 350 is discontinued, and I don't know if the HOB adapter is still available. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: HOB Canister Filter

Post by mewickham »

You can't beat an Eheim filter for quality, but I don't know if they make any hang-on-the-back models, or have a hanger available to convert to that.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

HOT Magnums are HOT! Slightly smaller but they are still out there on Amazon and other retail sources. Might be different brands now but I like the hang on the back feature.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I've got a regular 350 Magnum and a HOT 250 (which I'm not able to use because the micron filters shrunk and don't fit anymore. Since I'm well aware of the unintended consequences rule of DIY, I'm probably going to do something dangerous (stupid). I got some PVC pipe for a center brace, and some block foam to make my own filter cartridges. After my usual obstacle laden attempts, I've finally got the 350 working with a sponge filter. Needless to say, I'm going to keep a pretty close eye on it the rest of the day. I'll probably go ahead and try to modify the 250 in the meantime. I will be trying to make my own DIY canister filter and a filter for my turtle tank in the next week or so. Stay tuned. Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

I have some extra hot magnum internal parts if you want to skip the DIY. :D Just let me know. Corey may be passing through one day soon. Jack
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I could use a Magnum 350 motor, but they probably aren't available very often. These are the motors that had slots in the motor housing for 3 plastic legs. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

It's been about 2 hours since I set the new filters up, and so far they are still pumping a pretty good amount of water. One of the concerns I had was that the sponges would get clogged up and the flow rate would diminish. So far so good, and I think the water is slowly getting clearer. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Just checked the filters after about 8 hours running. The 350 is just chugging along, and the 250 has stopped. Either the filter got plugged up, or the motor quit. Tomorrow I'll have to take it apart and see which it is. Obviously the 250 doesn't have as much filter area, so I'm not surprised. Denny