Setting up a Native Tank

Fish from Arkansas and the USA
kribkid17

Setting up a Native Tank

Post by kribkid17 »

I've been working at a watershed outreach center and I recently brought up the idea of a getting a fish tank. I was thinking of native fish to showcase whats in the local waters. The tank will probably be a smaller tank, 20-30 gallons. Any ideas of fish that would be interesting to look at? The watershed is also the largest known population of the blind cave fish so some see through "imitation cave fish" might be cool too. Ideas are welcome. For filtration, I'm thinking about pumping the water into an aquaponics system so demonstrate how an aquaponics system works. I don't want to use a heater and for lighting, the tank will probably be in a window, is that a bad idea?
Jackielee

Re: Setting up a Native Tank

Post by Jackielee »

Would be fun to set it up with some good flow in kind of a river setting. I am sure a power filter and maybe a circulating pump would be good if you went that route. The bigger the better as far as what size tank you use to give everyone in the tank their space or else stock just a few specimens. Windows can cause algae issues which you could counteract some chemically. Not sure I have the answers for that issue if it will get much direct sunlight. Good luck and show pictures if it happens.