advice for raising bristle nose plecos.

Breed fish to earn points, awards, adulation, and great respect from other fishkeepers!
mudduck10

advice for raising bristle nose plecos.

Post by mudduck10 »

does anyone have advice for breeding and raising bristlenose plecos? my male long fin bristlenose and my female albino bristle nose spawned last night and i have about 50 eggs in cichlid cave and the male is fanning the eggs. i believe that i should have another 10 days or so before they hatch. so i have some time before they hatch, but i would like to be able to save and raise as many of the fry to full size as possible. The fish are in a 20 gallon tank with some plants and driftwood. The tank currently contains the breeding pair a super red female bristle nose and a few cobalt blue freshwater shrimp. The filter is a standard hang on the back filter but i placed a sponge filter over the intake so that no baby shrimp or bristle nose fry can be sucked up.

Questions:
What should i do for water changes while the eggs are growing and the fry are young?
what is the best option for feeding the fry after they hatch? i feed my plecos broccoli and algae wafers.
what percentage should i expect the young to be? which genes are the dominant and how low of percentage will the long fin albino?

breeding fish is a fun way that use my hobby to pay for my hobby. and i would like to eventually move on to harder species of pleco and other species of fish, but i had heard that the bristle nose pleco was a good place to start with egg layers.
fishbit

Re: advice for raising bristle nose plecos.

Post by fishbit »

Just leave them alone. He will take care of them. I feed them frozen food I make myself and microworms
mudduck10

Re: advice for raising bristle nose plecos.

Post by mudduck10 »

ok. i haven't done anything with them yet, he seems to betaking good care of them and hasn't kicked any out of the cave yet.